Thursday, October 06, 2011

Save your blog with Blog Backup Techniques

Basic Blog Preservation Techniques

So you say you somehow lost your blog? One day it was there, all was well, the next day it was gone? Vanished? Join the club!

I lost almost 5 years of blogwork when my Xanga site AND original blog*spot blogs were eliminated. Xanga just up and died out and went away.

For reasons known only to Google, they decided to delete my Capital Region People blog, even though, at the time it was canned, still managed to attract more than 400 visitors on a daily basis!

They did this while leaving blogs (that still remain online to this very day) that were abandoned as far back as 2001. Like this one. By the way, "Jim" gets around 10 visitors a day (probably looking to snag the name "JIM" for a blogspot blog!)

I had no reason to think that something let out there in the digital world would vaporize. That's not what they told us. They said "anything you post online will remain there forever." So, now we know that's not 100% true! If you want something online blown away to never return, there are ways of doing it. (And there are other people who may run across and decide to save your stuff: In the case of CRP, I wasn't so lucky!)

I managed to save a great deal of material from CRP. I saved it in its entirety by employing a variety of methods, including saving pages I had printed out, using HTTP Tracker, saving CRP onto a series of CDs.

This accomplished two things: (1) I had a lasting record of my early years of blogging and (2)The people who requested that certain items be deleted were happy. I only wish there had been a way of saving my earliest attempts at blogging on Xanga and a couple of other now-defunct services.

If you value your blog, find a way to save it for yourself. Either as a digital file in the way I did or you can simply print it out. The best method for printing is a month at a time (via blogger, anyway - I'm not well-versed on the other platforms) OR if you blog infrequently, print out one post at a time.

Tags: ,
Show Comments: OR

1 comment:

  1. You are really great to have this position, stuff and confidence is the main thing of yours I think, nice sharing....

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics