Friday, October 07, 2011

Working With Google Calendar and Google Phone

My coffee-stained planner...

Autumn is such a bright and invigorating season! Bloggers and Netizens in the Northern Latitudes will be spending a little more time at night cozying up to the modern digital fireplace known to all as "the computer."

I've been online since CompuServe, and the day has finally arrived (for me) that I can centralize my work and personal activities on just about any device that connects to the Net, via my Google (Gmail) account!

Yeah, it's a cloud concept, and I don't like the whole "cloud computing" thing.

I've been slow to implement Google+, but then again it took me literally YEARS before I really got into twitter: one day, I decided I would start twittering on a dual-purpose level, for business and personal reasons. When I went to open a twitter account, I discovered that I already HAD opened one, back when twitter was brand new! I joyfully was able to recall the password I used and immediately re-established my presence on the microblogging service!

I've also been s-l-o-w to get Google Calendar up and running. It's been around for awhile, does a lot of amazing things, and can be worked with offline (depending on your computer's capabilities). While it will NEVER replace my coffee-stained planner, I am gradually getting it tweaked so it will be a MIRROR of what's in my planner.

Then there's Google's phone feature. I signed on when Google Voice first came out, but only recently have I embraced it and been able to use and appreciate it for the valuable tool that it is! You simply must explore the possibilities!

Here's a useful trick passed along by jrin.net:::

– Call from your Google Voice number (from whatever phone you have in hand) –

You can make an outgoing call as your GV number (recipient’s caller ID would show GV too) from any phone by:

* Dial your GV number
* Press *
* Dial your GV voicemail pin
* Press 2
* Dial the number you wish to call
* Press #

So say your GV number was 111-222-3333, pin 1234, and outgoing call 999-888-7777, you would dial: 111-222-3333 * 1234 2 999-888-7777#

For those daring young geeks among you: Google Voice on the Michigan Telephone Blog.


I look at my Google Experience as an extension of my personal planner, a book that I have been using in one form or another for YEARS... it's as analog as analog gets, but I don't need to worry about a signal or a dial tone or electricity or battery-power to have information at my fingertips!

I believe everyone should have a planner. I prefer and recommend the "At-A-Glance" QuickNotes Weekly/Monthly Appointment book, which retails for around $39.99, but it is worth every penny. I pack mine with information, a lot of it duplicates important contacts that I already have online. I also use a little "electronic back up" - I have put an old version of Act contact management software on a cruzer so I can go on a computer but don't have to go online to access info.


Tags: ,




Permission to reprint this blog post in whole or in part is hereby granted, provided that the author (or authors) and Dave Lucas are properly cited. Permission to reprint any comments below is granted only for those comments written by Dave Lucas and staff.
Show Comments: OR

1 comment:


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics