Sunday, November 13, 2011

Around The Blogosphere 13 November 2011

Happy Sunday!

Here is your "must-read" for today!
It's an article by Melissa de Villiers about my friend, Binyavanga Wainaina, which appears in the Sunday edition of Times Live!

If you've ever wondered what it might be like to grow up gifted in Africa, Bin's new book is the next-best thing to having been there!

Here's a snippet of Melissa's piece:

"From boarding school exam fever to black-mamba bicycle bells, from suburban hair salons to Nairobi sidewalks full of "sweet talk and hustle", his book depicts ordinary lives playing out in quotidian environments that nonetheless brim with ideas, innovation and idiosyncratic dreams.

The book took Wainaina seven years to write. "I was trying to do something new and adventurous with the language I was using," he tells me down a crackly telephone line from London. "I wanted to create a vehicle that captured the imagination of childhood. And it took me a long time before I understood that playing around with the language was actually at the heart of what the book was about.""

Now, read the complete article.

Zambia: Using Social Media to Mobilize Mobile Phone Service Boycott

Read this post.

The world certainly is changing fast!

We call them Cell Phones, tech-savvy call them "smartphones" - users everywhere else on the planet call them MOBILE phones! They use them as personal as well as business communication devices. They even BANK via phone!


Whether or not the campaign by mobile phone subscribers in Zambia to boycott Airtel services on Wednesday, November 9 succeeded, a new era of expressing dissatisfaction with poor service delivery has arrived.




#Occupy: 24 Arrested in Downtown Albany
Sun Nov 13 10:09:17 EST 2011
State Police moved into Lafayette Park across from the State Capitol to enforce an 11pm curfew near the Occupy Albany site.


Occupy Protester Arrested in Lafayette Park
Sat Nov 12 22:15:10 EST 2011
The Gauntlet Is Thrown Down - Around 2pm Saturday, Bradley Russell made his "occupation" of state-controlled Lafayette Park official. About an hour later, he was arrested.


Tags: ,


Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics