Sunday, November 20, 2011

#Occupy_Albany - trying to distance itself from the media circus of who gets arrested every night?

"Some in the group are feeling that a focus on the nightly arrests is taking attention away from the group's main goals..." and the Times Union also says many in Albany's tent city are now vowing NOT to get arrested!
UPDATE! That rake-in is apparently going to take place at night. (see box at end of post)
Sunday Times Union columnist Fred LeBrun points out that "Occupy albany is still here" - he also mentions hyrdrofracking. Indeed: anti-hydrofrackers make up a very unique component of the Albany Occupants, who no doubt support LeBrun's speculations that the local Occupy will keep their tent city going no matter what happens to the nationwide Canadian-inspired movement.

The very first time I visited Occupy_Albany I encountered anti-hydrofrackers. They've been there on each and every of my subsequent visits to the tent city. But until now, the story HAS NOT BEEN about hydrofracking (or verizon, for that matter) - but it looks like all that is changing --- which could end up taking the local movement in the direction described in another Times Union column by Casey Seiler: "Time for Occupy to go INDOORS."

The History of "Occupy" - hover and click on the graphic to the right!


Hmmmm... Seiler muses that down through history "occupations never work." It is logical to assume the leadership of the leaderless movement needs to find winter quarters. Perhaps an activist-attorney will donate a flat along Elk Street, so the Occupants will have a bse from which to launch protests at the State Capitol against Governor Andrew Cuomo during the long, cold Albany winter.


Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics