Friday, December 23, 2011

BLOG IS LIFE :: Reflections

I've just hit the 10-years of blogging mark.

Nearly 10-thousand articles posted across five different blogging platforms, three of them now extinct!

via WikiPedia::: The modern blog evolved from the online diary, where people would keep a running account of their personal lives. Most such writers called themselves diarists, journalists, or journalers. Justin Hall, who began personal blogging in 1994 while a student at Swarthmore College, is generally recognized as one of the earlier bloggers.

The Blogger platform (now owned by Google) has been the bellwhether of the digital citizen journalism movement.

blog

[blawg, blog] Show IPA noun, verb, blogged,blog·ging.
noun
1.
a Web site containing the writer's or group of writers' own
experiences, observations, opinions, etc., and often havingimages
and links to other Web sites.

John Sealander ::: What started as a simple diary gradually became a way of life. I've always been a reasonably good observer, but the more I looked and the more I wrote, they more I found. My life wasn't really less interesting than other people's lives, it was just different. Different didn't mean better or worse anymore, it just meant different. In a small world encompassing two spotted dogs and a green urban park, I rediscovered life. By sharing this small world with you, I think I made it a bit larger.

"If you do it right, you will stay stupid things every now and then. You will piss people off. It's scary at first to hit Publish and push your ideas into the public sphere." ~ Gabriel Weinberg

"I love that I get comments on my posts. I love it when people react to my posts. I also love reading and reacting to the posts of other bloggers. It's a great connectivity." ~ fantaghiro23

Those quotes above are diamonds. But to read what follows, you might be led to believe there's gold in them thar blogs:

"Blogging that was considered only as a time pass hobby till 3 years ago now has become a source of income for many people. There are people who are completely living on their blog(s) and making a handsome income out of that.
And accept it or not, the money making part has become such a craze that even full time job holders, who are earning a decent income from their profession, are starting blogs."

That's a passage from the blog "We Blog Better" - a usually high-quality blog offering writing and publishing tips for hobbyists and professionals who blog.

In this case "we" should "know better" than to present an article that has nothing to back it up. (please don't drag out Shoemoney and Omnibalusi as the same old tired "examples" - they are NOT typical, as that little warning you see on your TV screen when those ads promising untold riches are shown)...

I could not resist answering a post on We Blog Better with this: (mouseover or Hover and click to enlarge the image)If you REALLY want to go the route of attaching a ball and chain to the art and make your BLOGGING a source of income, start HERE with Hesham's blog --- his business is strong and sound --- I believe the reason he has been so blessed with success is threefold: DRIVE, DESIRE and HONESTY!

"I don’t have a blogging schedule. I average about 1-2 posts per week. I try to get a post in at least once per week but I will admit that there are weeks that pass by without any contributions from me. I am a slow reader and a slow writer and if I try to rush the process I will only find myself starting all over again. So I’ve learned to be at peace with this. I can’t change it. I can either let myself be frustrated or I can just go with it." ~ EveryBookandCranny
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics