Friday, December 09, 2011

Stopping By On A December Evening? You are Welcome Here!

There is something different - comforting almost - about calling up the URL of a favorite blog here on my dial-up PC!

I'm at my home studio desk right now - it's a Friday evening - I had a great day at work - right now I'm on the net via pc1 (broadband) and pc2 (dial-up) while listening to Michael Savage on my radio... I've got a batch of brownies in the oven... I was just going to snap a pic of my little work area here so you could see but I realized I just put my cellphone on the charger and it's gonna be there for awhile...

Sometimes when I write a blog post I'm doing it simultaneously on the two computers, because each one has different characteristics and capabilities.

There's something "special" about the old faithful WinMe dial-up PC - once I get a webpage loaded on it, I spend a lot of time on that page - hence - all of the blogs I really enjoy reading are bookmarked on this particular computer!

Right now, I'm looking at Aldon Hynes' "Orient Lodge" blog. [Check out the link down below!] I think one of the reasons I like it so much is that it is chock full o' stuff, just like my blog here. There's a lot going on, and that's the way I like it. Oh sure, YOU might want a "plain vanilla" blog with little or no sidebar, no widgets... but when I'm on Aldon's blog, I feel like I'm a guest in someone's home. The latest post is the centerpiece, the "living room" if you will, and the rest is the furnishings in the room... the desk, the pictures on the wall, the magazine son the coffee table... in many ways, especially with us old school bloggers, a blog is very much like a digital home.

Yeah - I sell a few ads - I have my twitter feed in the sidebar - and other stuff - a lot of it is mostly for me, but it's also there for those certain "special" visitors, people are stopping by for a little shelter and hot chocolate on a snowy evening.

Please remember, friends, you are ALWAYS welcome here!

Now, have a look at what's happening "around the blogosphere" ---
Gifting is an essential part of Chinese culture. It comes with many idiosyncrasies that one should be aware of and observe. Some things are strictly “NO” as a gift choice in China, mostly because they sound like something else which is ominous. In this post, Jenny shares a few of the most prominent gifting taboos in China.

Aldon Hynes
  • Orient Lodge
    2011 Still Life - One of my writing themes for this year has been about living your life as if you were living the great American novel, or at least a collection of great ...

Do you care about startups? I do. First of all, since I’m extremely curious, I always want to know the latest news of the IT world. Being a project manager, I am mostly interested in those startups which can be useful for me and my job. Sometimes a small idea of a yet unknown team is worth much more than all the tools I’ve been using for a long time.
Today I would like to share my latest discoveries with you.
Here are 5 Startups that I consider to be worth your attention in 2012!

Tanzania: Blogging and Tweeting Tanzania@50

Read this post.

9 December 2011 is a big day for Tanzanians as the mainland part of the United Republic of Tanzania, Tanganyika, turns 50. Online, bloggers are tweeps are celebrating and reflecting...


Geoffrey Philp's Blog SpotRead this post.

Charles Ingabire, an online Rwandan journalist and genocide survivor, is the latest victim in a series of bloody attacks targeting Rwandan journalists. He was the editor of the Kinyarwanda-language news website Inyenyeri News.


Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics