Saturday, January 07, 2012

Around The Blogosphere 7 Jan 2012

Random Notes Etc.

OK - I'm comfortable with the new blog design - now it displays correctly in IE as well as Firefox and Chrome - I have the 3 columns I've been wanting for the last two years - I'm not sure whether I'll ad LinkWithin back or not: it seems like it slowed down the loading time a bit.

Anyone have any advice regarding LinkWithin?
I also lost the "You might also like" in the transition from Classic blogger template to New Blogger Layout. Are these tools that anyone out there uses or cares about? If so please tell me!

BLOGROLL? I notice that blogger has an option to add a blogroll; I moved my blogroll OFF the landing page a long time ago and I have a link to the blogroll page in the upper right corner. But I've been thinking about redeploying a blogroll on this page via the widget system. Don't be surprised if now you see it, now you don't.

I'm also still trying to figure out how I "lost" the 180 Google Friend connect peeps - I have some now (about 20) and I'm thinking of removing that widget.

When I switched the blog to the new layout, I added Google's "Subscribe by email" widget. By golly, it works! People are actually subscribing! So it's a good thing, right?

I've left a few "throwbacks" to the old blogging days - mostly just as little reminders of the past - where the blog has taken me and all that sentimental stuff!

OK - I've had my say - now here's what's going on all over the digiverse ::: First of all, POLITICS!

Washington Post (blog)
The debate, which is being sponsored by ABC and WMUR, gets started at 9 pm We'll start live-blogging about five or ten minutes before the candidate hit the stage and continue until they leave...

MENA: 2011, a Year of Struggle and Triumphs for Bloggers

Read this post.

With all of the social media successes throughout the Middle East and North Africa in 2011, it would be all too easy to overlook the struggles faced by bloggers and netizens throughout the region. But with 126 netizens imprisoned, it would be a travesty.

Naky Soto Parra, in her blog El Zaperoco de Naky [es], posts a message by Global Voices contributor Luis Carlos Díaz, who has been receiving threats for his online activity. Luis Carlos explains that the threats and cyber-attacks come from hackers who target netizens that criticize the government. He calls these hackers and their attacks “the dirty face of the political battle in this election year.”

Mureed Bijenjo provides a critical comment on the recently announced Pakistan Blog Awards 2011.

How Do You Handle Guest Bloggers? - That was actually a question posted at the SME networking clubs that I’ve joined recently, I thought it’s useful if I put my answer on the blog as I alread...

Show Comments: OR

1 comment:

  1. PS - forgot to mention - incoming traffic has nearly doubled since installing the new layout!


Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics