Monday, January 09, 2012

Blog On Crack

I have previously mentioned that since changing my blog's template to Blogger's layout format, I've seen an uptick in traffic. An extra 200+ visitors per day. I wonder if these could be IE users who previously were unable to access some or all of the content? From time to time I would check my blog using IE, and I never liked what I saw. The page either did not load completely or the sidebar would appear (if it appeared at all) way down belowthe content of the main page. I'll bet the crappy look that rendered on their screens sent visitors scurrying away in a hurry!

I've been watching - paying attention - to the way other bloggers are using other methods of communicating on the Net: twitter remains a favourite, but facebook is in a freefall, and in my opinion, has been, and for me that happened the day they took a lot of the interactivity away. FB used to be very interesting and informative when I'd log in and land on my page.

Facebook is becoming a vast wasteland of people posting youtube videos and links to stuff they've been reading and news events.

It's like a blog on crack. Here's wishing that in 2012 somebody at the social network will figure out a way to make it fun again.

Don't get me wrong: it's nice to share your likes and interests. But that can be done on a blog or via twitter!


So now, what are YOUR thoughts about where we all are going, communication-wise, on the WWW? About 5 years ago, the "web gurus" pronounced blogging "dead" and promised that the "vlog" or video blog would be king. Could what's happening on facebook be the fulfilling of that prophecy? About 2 years ago other gurus were yakking it up about "Lifestreaming" and how Posterous was the giant-slayer that would soon vanquish WordPress and Blogger. Yeah, we saw that happen, didn't we? It seems tumblr has stepped into those shoes, not so much as a vanquisher, but as a more logical channelling of that old "Lifestreaming" concept.

Or maybe THIS is where "Lifestreaming" can now be found:

It has evolved quite a bit from the super geeky bailing wire and duct tape method of being a DIY project I started covering back in 2007. With advancements in technology, primarily through the proliferation of API’s, it has penetrated and mutated its way across the web. But the one place it landed to now become ubiquitous is withFacebook’s creation of the Timeline feature which has brought it to over 800 million people. ~ Mark Krynsky "This Year in Lifestreaming" December 2011



Tags: ,
Show Comments: OR

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Facebook is not a lot of fun nor is it very interesting anymore. I go on everyday to work on my fan page, not to actually see what people are doing because the newsfeed is so cluttered and uninteresting. I hope that changes at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the mention. Yes things have changed quite a bit as of late but they will continually evolve. There are no hard and fast rules for how anyone shares specific content on any network and all the services can do is provide various methods to help guide users.

    Today Facebook announced more ways to enable "frictionless sharing" from 3rd party apps to your timeline. So get ready for a flood of passive updates coming to timelines in the very near future.

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics