Monday, January 09, 2012

Talk about a manic Monday!

It was quite a busy newsday - reporters hustling and bustling in Albany, the newshub of the day - I was invited to New York State Comptroller Tom DiNapoli's breakfast meeting with the press. Here's a snapshot of the room, and below it a snapshot of the magnificent view from the 15th floor of 110 State Street.

That long road snaking up the mountain is Columbia Turnpike, which goes up to East Greenbush and Nassau.

After the breakfast, I moseyed on over to the New York State Capitol for a presser held by a coalition of community, labor, student, faith and Occupy organizations. They were kicking off a campaign to bring fairness and transparency to New York’s corporate tax system. Last year the same group worked together on the “Millionaires Tax” and personal income tax reform.
Reporters, photographers and cameramen were all snapping pictures of a particular poster that was brought to the event. Steve Ference from YNN handed me a paper copy of one that was in an untouched pile on the reception desk, and here it is:
On my way back to the radio station, I happened upon no less than 4 other events being covered by some media: there was Congressman Paul Tonko addressing a gathering in the area of the plaza known as "the well" and there was a TV crew interviewing some folks close to the security checkpoint at the corridor leading back to the State Street entrance.

As I was walking up State I noticed a couple of TV cameras in West Capitol Park and then across the street at the State Education Building a presser involving NYSUT. A cameraman and a female reporter (I did not recognize either of them) were recording a few blocks farther up State.

I also know from talking with reporter Karen DeWitt that there were multiple events she was attempting to cover happening throughout the day. I should have snapped a few more pictures!
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics