Recipe: Capitol-Grade Dark Chocolate Cake
The feast served during Katniss’
(The Hunger Games, Chapter 3)
Yields 1 cake, or 8–10 servings
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 cup fine-quality unsweetened cocoa powder, such as Scharffen Berger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup cold brewed coffee
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 cups (1 pound) butter (no substitutes),
9 cups confectioners’ sugar
2½ cups fine-quality unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9" x13" pan.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, coffee, buttermilk, and oil. Mix with a wooden spoon until smooth; batter will be thin. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 35–40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 45 minutes.
4. While cake cools, prepare the icing. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment on medium speed or using a wooden spoon and lots of muscle, beat butter until smooth and creamy. Reduce speed to low and add confectioners’ sugar, cocoa, and vanilla, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula as you go. Add milk as needed until frosting reaches preferred spreading consistency. (For thicker frosting, add less than a cup of milk. To thin out your frosting, add more milk. The choice is yours!)
5. Once cake has thoroughly cooled, spread icing over the top.