Monday, April 30, 2012

Criminal Minds

While driving home from work today, my mind wandered into the TV show "Criminal Minds" where I saw "the team" connecting the dots as they usually do between two cases - but in my imagination's tv program they connected two real-life cases.

Although we talked about one particular west coast missing persons case on my International radio program in 1999, I couldn't recall this victim's name until I googled her... and from the keywords I typed in, I'm impressed that google found her straightaway. If only there were a Google for missing people! What's interesting is that on the same day I thought of this case, another that I have been following appeared as someone's blog entry.

The TV show I was imagining found a link between that case and this one. Could that be? Did my subconscious pick up on something? The mental state is just like when I "have a gut feeling" a particular number will come out in the lottery, for example, 2469. But 2369 comes out instead... There was some connection that wasn't comprehended correctly by my analyzing brain. I almost had the answer, almost arrived at the right combination.

Compare/contrast those West Coast incidents with two East Coast unsolved mysteries:

I've always thought that the Albany area disappearance cases of Karen Wilson and Suzy Lyall were related. They are similar in many ways. My guess was if the girls were murdered, it was by someone working construction who moved from place to place following the work. Think: you could be 20 and kill someone. You could do it again at age 60. That's a span of 40 years right there. But why assume they were killed at all? It is possible the girls were captured and are being kept as slaves, God knows where.

We tend to assume that ourselves and our children and other loved ones are safe. And most of the time we are. But there are incidents like the four mentioned above that can chill your soul. You'll see many similarly strange cases appear on the TV shows 20/20 and Dateline NBC. Sometimes I wish I had chosen detective work as a career. But maybe I'd be too consumed trying to solve these crimes to do anything else! Still, the feeling of accomplishment in being able to give others closure must be somewhat gratifying.

I mentioned above it would be marvelous if we had a way to "google" missing people. It would be equally amazing if we could access a computer (as is done weekly on the "person of Interest" TV series) that could enable us to prevent crimes before they happen.
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics