If hiccups are common and lasting longer and longer periods of time, it could be a sign of a more serious problem. Although this is not common, hiccups can be the symptom of another disease.
Here are a few diseases where hiccups often show up as symptoms.
1. Central nervous system problems. Hiccups can be the sign of problems such as cancer, oncoming stroke, internal infections or injuries.
2. Metabolic problems. Sometimes decreased kidney function or hyperventilation have hiccups as symptoms. These chemical processes can cause disruptions in the diaphragm.
3. Irritation of nerves. When the nerves in the head, neck and chest get disrupted or irritated they can cause hiccups to occur.
4. Mental health problems. Sometimes mental health problems can cause the onset of hiccups, although not common, it has been proven.
5. Anesthesia or surgery can also cause the commencement of hiccups.
If you get the hiccups once or twice, you should look into common hiccups remedies. But if they keep returning, it might be time to see your doctor and get to the bottom of things. You wouldnÕt want to let a problem like one of the aforementioned to get more serious than it needs to be. Pay attention to your health, but also remember that the hiccups are common, so donÕt jump to conclusions before seeing your doctor.