Friday, April 13, 2012

New Communicator: Blackberry 8530

Photo images on the BlackBerry are just as good as the Kyocera, although the pictures come out darker. I sometimes have to use photoediting software to lighten them up. The Kyocera also highlighted the colour blue for some reason.

I'm learning to love my replacement cellphone! After a couple of minor incidents involving my trusty ol' Kyocera Wild Card cellphone (Technical issues which I suspect are due to the unit having become too to be properly supported by the carrier system*) I decided I needed to upgrade...

I wanted to stay on the Virgin Mobile network so I chose the recently discontinued Blackberry 8530:
  • It has a keyboard, which I prefer over a touchscreen.
  • BB's have the capability of pushing email to the phone.
  • It has wi-fi and access to the BB apps store.
  • It can record and playback mp3 and video.
  • It is built for social media participation.
I was on VM's $30 a month 1500 minutes 1000 texts plan. For months, I've come in under 300 minutes talk time for each billing cycle, so I opted for the $35 talk-text-data plan. Now I have a phone that doubles as a tool that will assist me in my work as a broadcast journalist. I'm also moving all of my Fly Ying Chinaphone stuff over to the BB. Heck, I even have KINDLE on the BB! The only thing I'm going to miss is the built-in FM radio on the Chinaphone, but I'll live with that (or at least try to).

So I got the little guy in the mail, and put him into service at the end of the monthly cycle.

(Among apps I have already installed: Google Voice, sina weibo, twitter and KINDLE! They work great!)

* issues include - I went a whole month without being able to receive text messages. I could send 'em just fine. Many many calls to tech support before the issue was resolved with what the guy in India called a 'server reset' - and suddenly the phone would go through violent episodes of turning itself off an on, centered around the days before and after the 'new month' of service ended/began
Unlock Your BlackBerry Smart Phone With This Unlock Code (Payment Required)
Tags: ,
Show Comments: OR

1 comment:

  1. Nice phone! The right gadget if you need to be online wherever you are. I wish I could have one of that kind too.

    Btw, Thank you for the helpful advise Mr Dave! Hopefully, my blog will pick up the pieces soon.

    Have a wonderful weekend!


Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics