Thursday, April 12, 2012

North Korea, George Zimmerman & Super Commuters

On the ride home today I was listening to a couple of talk radio programs: both Governor David Paterson on 710 WOR (NYC) AND Al Roney on talk1300 (Albany) were discussing the George Zimmerman case. Paterson had Michael Savage on as a guest around 5:45pm and Savage told the Gov that in no uncertain terms this is a bad situation.

A short while later I heard a caller saying things in America are getting worse, not better. He said he is sick of hearing how "good" things are when the price of gas is up ($4.17 today in New Paltz) and when unemployment continues (the national rate is UP and remember, a lot of people who have been without jobs for too long are NO LONGER COUNTED on those "unemployment rolls" because they've maxed out their unemployment insurance claims).

Back to the Trayvon Martin shooting: George Zimmerman appeared in court today (screen grab above from CBS2) for what amounted to a brief reading of the charge. Judge Mark E. Herr said he found probable cause to move ahead with the case with an arraignment held May 29 before Circuit Court Judge Jessica Recksiedler.

Now we have news that the North Koreans have launched a rocket - and I'm hearing now that "it might have failed." And CNN says it did fail.

What does that mean? I heard one of the commentators on the CBS evening news (TV) say the Obama admin may cancel food aid to North Korea. What? What kind of sense does that make? Isn't that like asking them to go ahead and launch another rocket, and this time make sure it's equipped with a nuke? One thing I learned, you don't stick a stick in a hornet's nest!

And then there's George Zimmerman... inmate #201200004452, lives in a cell with 67 square feet of floor space, is allowed to read the Bible and magazines, but has no access to TV, according to officials at the central Florida jail where he is being held. The second-degree murder charge George Zimmerman faces in the killing of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin surprised some observers, but lawyers say it's typical in "heat of passion" slayings.

Mike Tyson is not happy - mouseover and click on his pic to read why.

Since I am a commuter myself, I was particularly interested in the NBC Nightly News story about the new breed of "Super Commuters" ::: NBC's Janet Shamlian reports.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy


The fluffy life continues...
The Colombian Congress approved on April 10th, the proposed Law 201 (2012) on author rights and intellectual property. This has generated many reactions, becoming a local Trending Topic on Twitter under the hashtags#LeyLleras2 [es], #SoyDelincuente [es] (”I'm a criminal”) and TLC [es] (Free Trade Agreement). Anonymous blocked [es] Government websites, and a march has been organized for April 14, when President Santos will sign the law to present it to President Obama as one of the requirements for the approval of a free trade agreement with the United States.
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics