Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pop Clips » 10 April 12

My friend Sharmin just got started on her column on the amazing Checkout, NYC: she makes an interesting cross cultural observation live from Morocco. Here's a brief snippet:

"As avid consumer of Hip Hop; and even dancing when Jay-Z is talking about all the different girls he likes with stereotypes from all over the world, I noticed that I don’t listen to these songs on my free time. When I’m writing a history paper about a war, I’ll put on Wu Tang. When I’m thinking about my relationships and the men I find intriguing, I listen to Mos Def. When I feel myself reminiscing over the 2011 Middle East uprisings, I find Lowkey and The Narcissyst. I find lyricism to be such an integral part of the music I consume, and when “Niggas in Paris” becomes normalized, we forget it’s the beat that’s addicting. We find ourselves attached to music that has lyrics that may not be in favor of our every day ethics and values. Do we allow ourselves to become victims of a rhetoric that is disconnecting us from the value of our communication?"

Read The Whole Thing »

Moving on, I think that THIS is really odd... (the article includes a clip of Nicki’s full interview on ABC’s Nightline with JuJu Chang) I didn't know sheeple were that stupid to compare Nicki Minaj to Lady Gaga. That's like comparing gold coins to old pennies!

One Day on Earth: Worldwide Collaborative Music Video Released

Read this post.

A new music video has been released in preparation for the worldwide screening of the Global Collaborative film One Day on Earth, which will take place in locations all around the planet on Earth Day (22 April, 2012). The video features musicians, poets and dancers captured on film all during the same 24 hour period in 10 October, 2012, artfully recut and remixed by Cut Chemist!

read »

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics