Friday, May 11, 2012

Cover Your Online Tracks

One thing you always need to look out for - number one. That, my friend, is YOU! You have to monitor your online presence and keep watch for any undesirable material that may crop up. It is NOT impossible to defend yourself against anti-YOU content! And although it can be quite difficult to fix a damaged online reputation -- it's NOT impossible.

The permanence of the web is persistent and for anyone seeking to destroy or disable information, it presnts a huge challenge: once negative content is out there in the digiverse, it's dreadfully hard to delete. If you yourself are responsible for the creation and deployment of the objectional and/or questionable content (an errant tweet, a stupid YouTube video, a naked or drunken photograph on facebook) you can delete it and -- eventually -- it will be eradicated from the caches of Google and other search engines (you can hasten the process by asking Google to remove a page or site from its listings -- but only once it's been taken down). If you don't control the content, all you can really do is ask the person who does to remove it.

if you have the time and patience to methodically follow the proper procedures, you have a great shot at rehabbing your reputation online. If you find that you can't do it yourself, therer are some amazingly good services available, such as reputationdefender, which will handle the "cleansing process" on your behalf! Remember, in the end its your reputation and your responsibility.

The popularity of social networking sites continues to increase, especially among teenagers and young adults. The nature of these sites introduces security risks, so you should take certain precautions.

The best way to keep unflattering information about yourself out of Google is to keep it off the Net. That means tightening up privacy at all your online hangouts: Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, etc. Be careful when you comment on other blogs and watch what you say in web forums, which are also indexed by Google unless the administrator has added a "do not index" tag to his forum. It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) Be careful what you post on your own Web site or blog.
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics