Wednesday, May 09, 2012


RIPPED FROM DRUDGE! Election year conversion...
Donors threatened to hold out...
Invokes daughters -- again...
FLASHBACK: 'I Don't Think Marriage Is a Civil Right'...
Cyndi Lauper: I support Obama's 'evolution' on issue...
RENDELL: 'Man Up'...
Campaign Now Raffling Off 'Shout-Outs' For Donations...

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo:
"This is a major advancement for equal rights in this country. I applaud the President's courage."

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

The following is a statement of Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick on President Barack Obama’s support for same-sex marriage:

“President Obama has once again affirmed that we are a country that stands for the basic values of equality and opportunity. Since 2004, same-sex couples in Massachusetts have had the security of knowing that their families have the same rights and protections as every other family, including health care benefits and hospital visitation rights. The President's words today give same-sex couples across the country still awaiting those rights a powerful reason to feel hopeful."

Democratic Congressional candidate Dr. Richard Becker issued the following statement on President Obama's support for marriage equality:

"Having the President of the United States stand up publicly and embrace marriage equality is a major step in the right direction in the long struggle for LGBT rights. This sends a powerful and unmistakable message to everyone in America that acceptance and equality are on the march. At its best, our government has always been a strong voice for those who needed one, and I was proud that President Obama added his voice to the chorus that's fighting to ensure that the we no longer discriminate against LGBT Americans. Bravo, Mr. President!"

Capital Region Gay and Lesbian Community Center Executive Director Nora Yates Responds to President’ Obama’s Recent Announcement:

“We are thrilled that President Obama has announced his support for equal marriage for same-sex couples. After winning marriage equality in New York last June, we are about to celebrate one full year of equal marriage in New York. Naturally, our attention turns to the federal level for recognition of the rights we enjoy here in our home state. With the President’s support, the effort to educate people on the reality of our lives is that much easier. All families deserve the protections of marriage, and one day, hopefully soon, it will be a reality across the country.”

Tags: ,

Print this pagePRINT THIS POST

Show Comments: OR


  1. Dave --

    Today, I was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer:

    I believe that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

    I hope you'll take a moment to watch the conversation, consider it, and weigh in yourself on behalf of marriage equality:

    I've always believed that gay and lesbian Americans should be treated fairly and equally. I was reluctant to use the term marriage because of the very powerful traditions it evokes. And I thought civil union laws that conferred legal rights upon gay and lesbian couples were a solution.

    But over the course of several years I've talked to friends and family about this. I've thought about members of my staff in long-term, committed, same-sex relationships who are raising kids together. Through our efforts to end the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, I've gotten to know some of the gay and lesbian troops who are serving our country with honor and distinction.

    What I've come to realize is that for loving, same-sex couples, the denial of marriage equality means that, in their eyes and the eyes of their children, they are still considered less than full citizens.

    Even at my own dinner table, when I look at Sasha and Malia, who have friends whose parents are same-sex couples, I know it wouldn't dawn on them that their friends' parents should be treated differently.

    So I decided it was time to affirm my personal belief that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

    I respect the beliefs of others, and the right of religious institutions to act in accordance with their own doctrines. But I believe that in the eyes of the law, all Americans should be treated equally. And where states enact same-sex marriage, no federal act should invalidate them.

    If you agree, you can stand up with me here, at the URL I place in your comments!

    Thank you,


    PS: Thanks for covering my visit to Albany!

  2. Hi Dave,

    Ruben commented on your pin, 'Profile in courage..'.

    "Courage for seeking more votes in the upcoming election? Don't think so."

  3. Hi Dave,

    allison steele liked your pin on Pinterest 'Profile in courage...'

    Maya Wergeles and 1 other repinned your pin on Pinterest!


Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics