Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Dambisa Moyo - on resource scarcity, and how the world is becoming dependent on China's money

Zambian-born, Oxford- and Harvard-trained economist Dr. Dambisa Moyo is a New York Times best-selling author of both Dead Aid: Why Aid is Not Working and How There is a Better Way For Africa, published in 2009, and How the West Was Lost: Fifty Years of Economic Folly - And the Stark Choices that Lie Ahead, published in 2011.

Dr. Moyo's 3rd book Winner Take All: China's Race for Resources and What It Means for the World has just been released, and she's "making the rounds" in broadcast media. She has marvelous insight and understanding of what's going on in the world today: you'd be much better off reading her books than wasting your time on facebook!

Economist Dambisa Moyo in conversation with Brian Bethune

I had the pleasure of conducting a radio interview with Dr. Moyo a few years ago; I googled up the links for you which you are free to pursue when you have the time! The big picture below was uploaded by Dr. Moyo to her twitter account - she is seen at the CNN studio. Earlier this evening, I caught her in an interview aired by BBC television

Apr 28, 2009
Monday WAMC aired my interview with Oxford-trained economist Dambisa Moyo, who says western aid is a waste of money because it has made Africa poorer. Dambisa is very engaging, and we chatted away on the phone ...
Feb 21, 2009
Dambisa Moyo is a world class economist born and raised in Zambia . Her new book book is entitled “Dead Aid”. Nicknamed "The Anti-Bono." Moyo contends that aid to Africa is counter-productive. Here's an excerpt, in which ...
China's leaders have embarked on a hugely ambitious program, domestically and internationally: desalinization plants, pipelines, vastly expanding fleets of ocean-going transports. Like a 19th-century colonial power, China has ranged the world over to secure the resources needed to meet its ambitions. Unlike many of those earlier colonial powers, though, its strategy has been less to plunder the natural wealth of the countries it deals with than to strike long-range aid and trade agreements. ~ Snippet from Dambisa Moyo's Winner Take All: China's Race for Resources and What It Means for the World (Basic Books)."
Publication Date: June 5th, 2012
Page count: 272pp
Publisher: Basic Books
ISBN-10: 0465028284
ISBN-13: 978-0465028283

Tags: ,

Print this pagePRINT THIS POST

Show Comments: OR

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave,

    thanks for your comment on my blog - good to know I'm not the only one affected ;-)
    In my case someone anonymous reported me, it wasn't a bot.

    China certainly is a growing economic power - shame about the horrendous treatment of humans and animals :(
    Not to mention it's the biggest environmental polluter...

    Dr. Moyo's third book sound interesting!



Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics