Saturday, June 23, 2012

GOVERNOR ANDREW M. CUOMO, CUOMO ALUMNI PRESENT GOVERNOR MARIO M. CUOMO WITH A SURPRISE BIRTHDAY GIFT: A PORTRAIT TO HANG IN THE HALL OF GOVERNORS!

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the alumni of the Governor Mario Cuomo Administration today presented Governor Mario M. Cuomo with a surprise birthday gift: an oil-on-canvas portrait which will be displayed in the Hall of Governors located in the State Capitol. Photos of the portrait will be available at www.governor.ny.gov.

"The collection of gubernatorial portraits in the Hall of Governors recognizes the extraordinary public servants that have changed the course of our state and nation during their lifetimes," Governor Cuomo said. "Today is a particularly special day for me, as I have the privilege of unveiling the official portrait of a man who not only has served New York State for many years including twelve as governor, but a father who also instilled in me the value of public service. I am pleased that this portrait will now be in the Hall of Governors and available to the many New Yorkers who visit to learn the story of our state's history."

The portrait of New York's 52nd governor was painted by Simmie Knox, a nationally-recognized portraiture artist whose works include the official White House portraits of President Bill Clinton and First Lady Hillary Clinton, as well as U.S. Supreme Court Justices Thurgood Marshall and Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Mr. Knox has been commissioned by private individuals, organizations, and institutions and has also painted portraits of a U.S. cabinet member, U.S. congressmen and state senators, a mayor of New York City, respected civic leaders, sports figures, entertainment celebrities, educators, judges, religious leaders, military officers, businessmen, and private individuals.

The portrait was done with oil paint on oil-primed linen. Mr. Knox based the portrait on a 1989 photograph of Governor Mario Cuomo taken by Don Pollard. It was commissioned in early 2012 by the Friends of Mario M. Cuomo.


Tags: ,
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics