Sunday, June 03, 2012

Hometown Paper Falls Short in Footrace Coverage

Because I am a part-time runner and because I am a proud resident of the City of Albany, I look forward to reading about The Freihofer's Run For Women. Matter of fact, this morning, after a short run, I stopped by a neaby Stewart's store to pick up my Sunday New York Times and Albany Times Union. I was especially looking forward to reading all about Saturday's Freihofer's Run For Women 2012, where one of the athletes, Mamitu Daska from Ethiopia, became the first back-to-back winner of the race since Benita (Johnson) Willis won three straight from 2006-08.

The front page of the Sunday Times Union carries a banner with a headline reading "The Africans, then everyone else" and mentions "a group of three Ethiopians and three Kenyans" - there's a photo by Cindy Schultz, but no identities - no faces to go with the names.

There are more pictures on page C1 and c8, mostly of caucasian "local" women runners. You know how human nature is, we want to know WHO the winner is, SEE her picture and read her story.

To get an idea of what the winner of the 2012 race looks like, I had to rely on Google, which found for me the winner of the 2011 competition, who happened to be the same person.

Show Comments: OR


  1. It's the new wave of Times Unionist journalism. They call it "GO WITH WHAT YOU'VE GOT" and so if you ain't got a lot, who cares, go with it anyhow.

  2. At least they pretended to cover this one. Ya never get the winner of the Last Run which is busting at the seams with runners every year. Of course, they'd have to be out in the cold for that race.

    Actually, I had the same frustrations you had. I wanted to see the winner not the "seen" pictures. But, that would involve real coverage rather than just sending a photog and pulling a press release.

    Hey, as the above commenter noted...the call it "go with it what you've got."


Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics