Monday, July 09, 2012

And Now... Back To Monday

My weekend got off to a rocky start - Thursday night we went out for seafood dinner - something didn't agree with me and I spent Friday flat on my back. Saturday was a little better ... I was out walking and shopping, and ran across a gentleman who, for the last 10 years, has been picking up used books at garage sales and reselling them on Recently he told me that business has fallen off the cliff: it seems that nearly every title in his 1,000+ book inventory is selling for a penny! This guy, and every seller like him, has become a vistim of what is called "robo-pricing," which Financial Times explains "Amazon sellers – using third-party software – can set rules to ensure their prices are always, for example, $1 lower than their rivals’. More complex algorithms can analyse data to set prices most likely to secure a prominent position on the site." FT notes that in 2011, some of the algorithms went rogue, they cite a book that skyrocketed to USD $23 Million PER COPY! Hmmm. Why doesn't Amazon BAN that kind of activity? Use cap'cha like blogs do?

By Sunday I was back to my normal self (whatever that is!)

The day began with a "red alert" ::: my main desktop was in some kind of trouble. A lot of startup items were MIA and after some ado I was able to take a look at what was left of the startup file in Windows explorer, which indicated it had been changed late last night. Hmmm... not by me! I immediately suspected some sort of trojan had hopped on board, because none of my anti-virus or anti-malware programs would open. The best thing Windows ever did, IMHO, is create those "Restore Points" (you access them thru safe mode0 - I rolled the computer back several days, and voila!

The cyber-adventure over, I spent a lot of time gardening. My lack of weeding in recent weeks was evident by the sheer number of invasive species in the vegetable patch! I broke out the grill for lunch and dinner and was outdoors until around 8pm. When inside, I watched a little ION television - they have a new series "Leverage" which was interesting. I also caught up on all the email that piled up over the weekend.

So what's ahead for this week? At 0725 Monday morning, all is calm for the moment. As I go through the workweek I have a couple of small personal items to attend to and a few bills to make sure get paid on time. Otherwise, "stay tuned!"
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics