Monday, July 16, 2012

Here we are in the middle of July...

This is an excellent place to be. In time, that is. A critical "halfway" point in US Summertime. A good "setpoint" to take a few deep breaths, see where we've been and where we're going.

A few interesting articles you may want to check out, appearing in the morning newspapers and blogs:

That "late blight" thing is the scariest - I pulled up ONE of the many tomato plants in my garden that was showing symptoms of blight (that was on Friday evening) - so far the rest seem to be (knock on digital wood) doing fine.

I'm now officially satisfied that I opted to add "facebook comments" to the blog here, as the cap'cha boxes are getting more and more frustrating for readers (check out the foto below) - so "Social Comments" as they are now being referred to on some major newspaper websites, are "the way to go' at least for right now!

And speaking of blogs, I was RIGHT! When all the gurus were boo-ya over RSS I warned you that RSS renders your ads useless and doesn't show up in your hit counters! Suddenly, the gurus have figured out I was right and they are now advising every blogger to jettison RSS ASAP! My RSS links are still present and I may or may not take them down. Honestly, I've never pushed RSS but I do know I'm losing credit for hundreds of hits by visitors who ONLY read the RSS feed and never kiss this blog's URL!


Show Comments: OR

3 comments:

  1. it is getting quite difficult to 'prove you're not a robot' these days, but I'll do it as long as I can see out of my four eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMAGINE IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON BEING ABLE TO SOLVE ONE OF THESE THINGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though FBs commenting platform has its benefits I prefer not to use them. The thing is when we engage in active discussions on blogs or websites, we are getting a lot of exposure. So people (may be like-minded people) who see our comments may visit our profile and throw in a friend request. I don't want random people requesting friendship on my FB account.
    But for many others FB comment system is a relief from all the captcha, email stuff!!

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics