Monday, July 09, 2012

My Personal 'Commenting Blueprint' - FREE!

Last month it was SNIPPETS: This month those pesky blogging gurus are sinking their teeth into a new animal: COMMENTS!

Self-appointed self-annointed GURUS try to convince bloggers that being able to create thought-provoking comments will drive visitors to your blogs, and of course they are happy to charge you for a little "inside info" --- well, I've gotcha covered with BETTER and CURRENT "inside info" that won't cost you a penny! (Or get you into trouble!)

The gurus are always OUT TO MAKE MONEY. That is their prime motivator. 99 out of 100 times the information you pay for is wrong or outfdated - it might have been effective six months or a year ago - an eternity in cybertime!

Comments are "notoriously cliquish" - you'll notice on blogs which list "top commenters' it's always the same 9 or 10 people, and if you visit their individual blogs: yup! The same 9 or 10 people. Outsiders rarely get comments approved, and when they do, they are subjected to ridicule or rude replies from the "inside band" of commenters (who, by the way, also bestow "best blogger" awards upon one another, which really have no merit or social value!)

For years, I have bent over backwards trying to engage readers of my blog here to comment. To twist an old saying: you can lead the blogger to the comments box, but you can't make him comment. At least I'm no Nick Denton: he wants to "erase this toxic Internet class system!" he has come up with an alternative, which resurrects the old internet name KINJA, which will position to become the new, alternative internet commenting system. (more on KINJA follows, if you know how to follow the links!)

I recently added FACEBOOK comments to my blog - it appears only on the actual URL of the individual unique article. I open a door so that if you happen to be a facebooker and you land on my blog, you can easily drop a comment when otherwise you would not bother. I believe this will prove effective in the long run. I have yet to see any major benefit, but fb is a major major major player on the net and the leader in social media 2012, ergo fb comments.

Back to our main issue here, this idea of using some sort of "Blueprint" for commenting:

The major internet players are running AWAY from comments!

"run your own analysis on your traffic and determine exactly how many people are scrolling down the page to read comments. Then figure out how much you’re spending to maintain comment communities that are civil, vibrant, and not an embarassment sitting just below your own work. I bet once you run all the numbers, you’d discover you’d be saving money simply by not having comments at all. (You’d probably save a bundle on therapy for authors alone.)" ~ ANIMAL

Hang on, bloggers! There is a better way:
Handling Negative Comments

Your blog is your home. You can do with it what you like.

Tags: ,

Print this pagePRINT THIS POST

Show Comments: OR


  1. Ban all comments!



Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics