Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Olympic Athlete Apologizes For Racist Tweets


Triple jumper Voula Papachristou has been kicked off Greece's Olympic team after she tweeted out comments mocking African immigrants ... she immediately issued this response:

βούλα Παπαχρήστου (@papaxristoutj)

Posted Wednesday 25th July 2012 from Twitlonger

I would like to express my heartfelt apologies for the unfortunate and tasteless joke I published on my personal Twitter account. I am very sorry and ashamed for the negative responses I triggered, since I never wanted to offend anyone, or to encroach human rights. My dream is connected to the Olympic Games and I could not possibly participate if I did not respect their values. Therefore, I could never believe in discrimination between human beings and races. I would like to apologize to all my friends and fellow athletes, who I may have insulted or shamed, the National Team, as well as the people and companies who support my athletic career. Finally, I would like to apologize to my coach and my family.

http://tl.gd/ih3mcp

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful that she apologized...... but she shoulda known batter!

Roshan A said...

I've been reading about this online. I think this is what happens when you try to be funny on social media sites. At least people will think twice before they post tweets hereafter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics