Saturday, July 07, 2012

RELIQUARY by Martin Rivas (Review)

somewhere along the interwebs
i encountered Martin Rivas...

...through twitter we exchanged contact info and Martin snail-mailed me a copy of his CD. I rarely reviews CDs, usually because by the time I get them, everyone else has already reviewed them.

I was getting everything together for a drive to Saki Tumi's camp down in the Catskills and luckily remembered to take RELIQUARY along for the ride.

[French reliquaire, from Old French, from relique, relic, from Late Latin reliquiae, sacred relics.]

Norah Jones' latest CD had been occupying the player for the longest time. I was a big NJ fan at the beginning of her career, but no release was able to match the first, until now, which actually is better than the first! (Someone - either Norah, her songwriters or Danger Mouse has been listening to Blondie and The Doors!)

So RELIQUARY gets inserted into the CD slot :::
C'MON WHILE WE'RE YOUNG - I almost didn't get past the first song. It's one of those "play it again" over and overs...

DRUMSET, AM RADIO AND TEARS - went by my ears in a wacky haze - they were still drunk on track one, and it wasn't until

YOUR HEART WILL BE BROKEN AGAIN came up that they settled down... more ear catnip! Rest the "repeat" feature for a good four or five plays. I'm on the road when I was attracted by a "FREE SODA" sign - you just had to fill out some sort of survey. I stopped. It was a church poll of some kind, and when I was done and got a free Cherry Coke just for stoppin' I was handed a tract, which totally summed up my initial experience with RELIQUARY: I was already IN heaven (at least my ears were!)

Next up, the delightful BROOKLYN ACCENT - a major "keeper," the kind of song that grows on ya... I fought the urge to hit the "repeat" button...

NO ONE KNOWS ME is straight-up soundtrack worthy - it needs to be in a movie!

MEET YOUR FATHER is the only tune that didn't do anything for me - but there's one like that on almost every CD, isn't there? Don't dwell too long on this particular song. I'm not the only one who has an issue with it. 402productions declares "there is a good chance that tracks like “Meet Your Father” may turn people off before they really get to know what Martin Riva’s music is all about. " 402p's review is here.

LIFE'S ABOUT TO IMITATE ART is another superduper soundtracker - a drivin' along kinda motorin' song that was immensely pleasant to listen to as the road unfurled ahead of me...

Shut your eyes when you listen to BELIEVE IN LOVE (Don't shut 'em if you're driving, d'oh!) and imagine John Lennon and Yoko Ono dueting this little musical masterpiece!

Leaving RELIQUARY made me realize how much the internet has opened doorways for musical artists who otherwise may have never found a way to deliver their music to the public. The sad thing about is that a lot of artists are SUPERSTAR material, or at least would have been, sans internet. Nowadays there is so much good music out there, mostly free for the picking, that getting noticed and developing a following is crucial to success (if you wanna make it your career). Only God knows how far Martin Rivas will ride RELIQUARY, his sixth release. I hope it's all the way to the top ten... but for now, Martin joins Norah Jones, Pugs Atomz, and Frank Ocean on my very short summer playlist!

Reliquary will be available on Amazon and iTunes on July 10. “C’mon While We’re Young” is also available on the free OxFam Summer Jams compilation from the charity OxFam International.

Martin Rivas hails from Brooklyn NY, but enjoys summering in Schoharie County. He has scheduled an appearance at the Rennaisance Arts Studio (331 Main Street, Middleburgh NY) on September 29th, for that venue’s first show since last year’s devastating floods.


Tags: ,


Print this pagePRINT THIS POST

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics