Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Tennis Star Venus Williams Plays Saturday Night In Troy, NY

Five-time Wimbledon champion Venus Williams will make a special appearance Saturday night, July 21 in Troy, NY when her Washington Kastles visit the NY Sportimes in World TeamTennis action at Hudson Valley Community College's McDonough Sports Complex.

The 32-year-old Williams is one of the game’s all-time great players winning seven Grand Slam singles titles, 13 in doubles including her fifth Wimbledon title with sister Serena earlier this month, and two mixed crowns.

Overall, since bursting onto the tennis scene in 1997, Venus has collected 43 WTA singles titles, 19 in doubles and she’s spent 11 weeks as the No. 1 ranked player in the world.

Next week Venus will travel to London as part of the U.S. Olympic women’s tennis team. Venus is the most decorated Olympic player in tennis with three gold medals winning two at 2000 Sydney in singles and doubles and earning a second doubles at 2008 Beijing.

"We are extremely excited and honored to welcome Venus Williams to the Hudson Valley Community College in Troy," said event promoter Nitty Singh. "I’m sure the Capital Region fans will want to wish Venus the best in her upcoming participation at the London Olympics and we are glad to see that she is in good health."

Venus missed six months of the tour calendar after revealing she was diagnosed with Sjogren’s Syndrome last September.

"I've been through a lot for years without knowing what I was going through. It's all a culmination at the end of the day. I just try to stay positive and focused on the tennis, not let anything get to me," Venus said during Wimbledon. "But I'm tough, let me tell you, tough as nails."

On the court Saturday night in her final match before London, Venus is scheduled to battle fellow former No. 1 and Sportimes anchor Martina Hingis. During her distinguished career, Hingis won five Grand Slam singles titles and nine in doubles. She finished as the No. 1 ranked woman three times on the WTA Tour.

The WTT action in Troy continues into next week. On Tuesday evening, July 24 Hall of Famer John McEnroe visits HVCC to play alongside Hingis when the Sportimes host the Boston Lobsters.

Match tickets for Venus/Hingis on Saturday night and McEnroe/Hingis next Tuesday are available by calling 518-393-0440 or for purchase at the box office. Doors open at 6pm both nights.

The 2012 season marks the 18th year of World TeamTennis in the Capital Region.

NY Sportimes Troy WTT Schedule:
Saturday, July 21 – NY Sportimes v. Washington Kastles, 7:30 p.m., at Hudson Valley Community College/Troy, N.Y. (Sportimes – Hingis; Washington – Venus Williams)
Tuesday, July 24 – NY Sportimes v. Boston Lobsters, 7:30 p.m., at Hudson Valley Community College/Troy, N.Y. (Sportimes – Hingis, McEnroe)
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics