Sunday, July 08, 2012

Then and Now ::: Jayne Kennedy vs. Ali MacGraw

Someone repinned a photo of Jayne Kennedy I had tagged on Pinterest. It got me to thinking: why are some of us able to age quite nicely, while others don't seem to fare well at the hands of time?

That goes for men as well as women. Why is it some folks think Rolling Stone Keith Richards looks better old than young. And there are others, like Willie Nelson and Karl Lagerfeld that we can't even imagine were once young - they're old but lookin' great! Kris Kristofferson and Neil Diamond are two more who have aged well.

Below are then and now images of Jayne Kennedy and Ali MacGraw, two American women whose careers skyrocketed around nearly the same time, in "pop culture" time, that is! Jayne Kennedy [Jayne Harrison October 27, 1951 (age 60)] was crowned Miss Ohio USA in 1970 (she was the first African American woman to win the title), and was one of the 15 semi-finalists in the 1970 Miss USA pageant. It was rare for an African American woman at that time to be in the contest. In 1978, she was one of the first women to infiltrate the male-dominated world of sports announcing with a role on The NFL Today. She has been on the cover of Ebony and Jet magazines numerous times. In July 1981 she became the first African American actress to grace the cover of Playboy magazine.Ali MacGraw [Elizabeth Alice MacGraw April 1, 1939 (age 73)] first gained attention for her role in the film Goodbye, Columbus in 1969, for which she won a Golden Globe Award, followed by Love Story in 1970, for which she received an Academy Award nomination and won a second Golden Globe. She married actor Steve McQueen in 1973, after appearing with him in the 1972 film The Getaway. After that, MacGraw did not make another film for six years and later retired altogether from show business.

Is age important to you as far as "looks" go? So who aged "better" - Kennedy or MacGraw? Does it matter? Your pushback is welcome!
Show Comments: OR

1 comment:


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics