Monday, August 06, 2012

Breaking News


...don’t be fooled by the fallacy that it’s blogs and social media that “break news”. News has always broken outside of newsrooms. It’s just that now, more people see it before it hits the papers. It does, however, reach the most people, in the most responsible way, via traditional media. Newspapers aren’t perfect, but they get a lot less wrong a lot less often than crowd-driven and hysterical social media services
~ source will be revealed later

Do YOU agree with this statement?

Someone wrote in the early 1990s that because newspapers from distant cities were more readily available on the same day they were printed, readers began to see that patterns and types of crime repeated themselves in 100-to-175 mile radius "pockets" surrounding cities. Today the local lines are blurred. The story of an abduction in Seattle can hit hard hundreds of miles away.

Late-breaking news stories from the 1960s thru mid-80s often appeared in the "Red Streak" evening edition of the Knickerbocker News (Albany NY) ... after the Knick folded, radio and tv reporters would flock to Coulson's on Broadway for the first edition of the next morning's Times Union, which would be delivered around 11:30pm.

Traditionally (in the Albany market and many others) radio and tv would look to the newspapers for any stories not dealt with thru press releases or news conferences. Citizens would "wait" and "get their news when they got it."

In the internet age, they want it (and get it) NOW!

Now here we are, into the 2010's, where news breaks everywhere and in many cases (as we saw in the Batman Massacre) ordinary people armed with smartphones are chronicling everything. This is TRULY "The Unblinking Eye" in action. To that we can add security and traffic cameras. Big Brother is watching. And involved.

Where do you get YOUR news? Newspapers or Blogs?

Which do you trust?

Your comments are welcome via standard Blogger commenting OR via Facebook (you must be logged into Facebook to comment!)

Syria: “I Tweeted Prime Minister Riad Hijab's Defection First”

Read this post.

Citizen Media in action! A Syrian Twitter user claims that he was the first to break the news that Syrian Prime Minister Riad Farid Hijab would defect a week ago. The Twitter user goes by the name @THE_47th and is also credited with announcing other defections well before mainstream media.

Show Comments: OR

4 comments:

  1. Drudge man, that's the news right there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave! The newspapers still have great SCOOPS! Too bad more people don't read 'em! LIKE THIS ON EIN THE TU!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because it requires a journalist and a newspaper who actually collects facts and reports on the story, too much misinformation can be shared or go viral on social media for news. Sure the 'overview' of an event can be discovered quickly but details can be hit or miss. Hoaxes will happen more frequently and I remember quite a few of those last year.

    I get my news typically from CNN or BBC websites, but I do browse news.google.com knowing it lists many blogs, but I pay attention to the news sites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read a newspaper since 2007

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics