Friday, August 10, 2012

#journorequest ::: PUSHBACK

[Milo Yiannopoulos:] ::: it makes me sad to see professional journalists pathetically tweeting their needs for every soporific six-paragraph story about Facebook or Apple. What on earth did these people do before #journorequest?

Remember ::: "NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, IT ONLY TAKES A SECOND TO RECORD SOMETHING."

"...every moron with a laptop and an internet connection now thinks they can produce “journalism”, taking the tools of our trade to be Twitter and WordPress, rather than rigour, intelligence, knowledge of your beat and experience in breaking news within the confines of the law."~ http://www.kernelmag.com/yiannopoulos/2972/how-social-media-has-devalued-journalism/

I asked a handful of bloggers to weigh in on this: the best response came from local (Albany-based) blogger "Albany Citizen One" aka "New York Citizen One" :::

As a blogger, I'm insulted to think that "journalists" would even
compare my work to their work. Never in my wildest dreams would I want
to be a "journalist" as I consider their "field," in general, corrupt
in it's very nature. While it may have begun with altruistic
intentions to deliver objective truths to the citizens, it has grown
into an industry which thrives on symbiotic relationships with it's
subject.

I began blogging because I saw a gap. News was being reported
post-mortem. There was no time for citizens to get involved and effect
change. In this sense, the "journalist" had joined forces with the
hand that fed it. As for "moron" with a laptop, I'll compare my resume
to any journalist's resume any day and as far as knowing their
beat...I'm sitting alone on their beat and with the "players" in their
beat...where are they? Waiting for their beat to send them a press
release.. And so ya know, I can cut and paste a press release faster
than any of them.

ACO has come under fire as a consequence of her reporting style...

Now it's YOUR turn!
What say you?
There's a "comments" section below (if you are signed in to facebook right now you can use the fb comment system!)

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics