Monday, August 13, 2012

Respecting Copyrights

The copyright issue is a thorny one - I try to avoid entanglements - the most recent lesson I learned was to stay off youtube, because even when there is an option on yt for bloggers to "embed video" - you may be surprised in a month or two when you receive a DMCA Takedown Notice.

I also try not to link to any live streams. I had another run-in with the Copyright police when a livestream I linked to happened to be playing a song that I MENTIONED on a blogpost - it happened at the exact moment a bot landed on that particular post - yes - a "Perfect Storm" scenario, where I was accused of copyright violation. Needless to say, I removed the streaming audio (radio station) link immediately! [more:::]

Malaysian blogger-artist Emila Yusof took the copyright bull by it's horns, writing on her blog:
" I am a freelance illustrator. I promote my work on the Internet. When I put it up on the Internet, it doesn’t mean that anybody can take it or use it for free without my consent. I am not that stingy with my illustrations, I offer it for personal use to accompany articles with the terms; ask me first, credit my name and link to my blog, as per my terms-of-use page. I also offer some free banners for personal use to use without seeking my permission.

On one recent case, my Merdeka Girl illustration has been integrated in Merdeka sales ad. I e-mailed the owner, left messages on his/her facebook and but no reply. I checked back few days later and thankfully, the illustration has been taken out. But sorry seems to be the hardest word; no words at all from the violators. Courtesy and copyright awareness are lacking in my own country. What can I do about it? Reaching to all through my blog or my FB page? By phone calls? E-mails? I tried all. When I was about to give-up, a good friend, Linda, said to me, “Lets talk to the press.”

They did - the result is here.

And so we did. Our plea to let people know that taking images from the Internet for commercial use is WRONG has been published in Berita Harian, a local Bahasa Melayu newspaper that has millions of readership throughout Malaysia."
Additional Reading
Everyone deserves credit! Michelle Malkin caught Lara Logan of CBS helping herself to al-Qaeda video without crediting the terrorist organization.
Show Comments: OR


  1. WANNA


  2. Really enjoyed this!


Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics