Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Beating Rihanna At Pep Rally

According to the Associated Press, Matthew Dishler (who posted the photo you see here; click on it for a larger version) says someone should have stopped both the use of blackface and the idea of drawing laughs from domestic violence.

One commenter wrote on ireport: "Welcome to the war against women in small town USA. Where it is OK to cheer and clap and laugh at a woman being beaten in a skit. There is a very disturbing mindset here of minimizing the violence ..." blah blah blah This person is living in a fairy world! The REAL WORLD IS LIKE THIS! Yes, people are rotten (at times)!

Another person suggests the students were laughing at two pop-star caricature-idiots: Brown for being a "beater" and Rihanna for setting the example online thru her recent tweets etc. that she is "still in love" with Brown (and we all know the women who say things like that after they've been beaten will indeed be beaten again, if not by the same guy, by another - reams of recorded history says so!)

I understand the history of what blackface used to mean. But we are moving away from that history. Today there are plenty of comedians and actors that use blackface and whiteface in their performances. The point is, while using blackface can be racist, it isn't automatically racist. In this case it was just a costume to help them better portray the couple they were mimicking.

Oh and by the way, Rihanna long ago became a laughingstock on many "fan" and other websites that ridiculed her for being beaten! (Of course the sites among those that were authored by African-Americans sidestepped any allegations of racism!) And they are snickering at her again, as she is involved now in a 3-way with Chris Brown and an Asian "actress'! Go figure!

Tags: ,

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics