Friday, December 14, 2012

Relinquishing Control

I will NOT yield to the cloud, and I will NOT "upgrade my browser" and I will find ways to get around any electronic barriers that try to shut me out!

Facebook is pushing a lot of crap on users. Once of the most insane: auto-text! I commented on another blog that uses Facebook comments this week- the blog had posted a really amazing photo and I commented "Cool Pic."

Now, my computer does NOT perform that "auto-think" like Google does when you're looking for something and it suggests a bunch of crap. Facebook comments took my aforementioned comment and changed it to read "Cool Picture." Now who knows where this will lead to... part of the "You must obey" philosophy that will ultimately kill facebook along with stuff like : "You may want to upgrade your browser. You're using an old version of Firefox that is no longer supported and may be insecure." YOU BASTARD!

Even larger "partners" with the Social Network have been re-evaluating... After a year-long experiment that saw its Facebook “social reading” app gain more than six million monthly users — and then lose more than half of those after the network changed the way those apps work — the Guardian has decided to take back control of its content. The Guardian learned the hard way: with a facebook app, only facebook is in control. It's all about control.

Here's something I ran across today: [The Web We Lost] "We've lost key features that we used to rely on, and worse, we've abandoned core values that used to be fundamental to the web world. To the credit of today's social networks, they've brought in hundreds of millions of new participants to these networks, and they've certainly made a small number of people rich... But they haven't shown the web itself the respect and care it deserves." Let me repeat that: "they haven't shown the web itself the respect and care it deserves" are you listening facebook? Do you care, facebook? We have lost.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics