Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sunday Surfing 12.23.12

I've been thinking more about facebook, in the wake of the article I published yesterday, and the fact that I cannot summon The Social Network on either of my computers, not by broadband, not by dial-up... and the little buffer wheel just keeps spinning on my Blackberry... wondering what's up, facebook?

Just about a year ago, the blogosphere was abuzz over something new called Pinterest, but I see the movement there appears to have leveled off, which may be a good thing, because, in case you haven't noticed, new apps and services that people flock to and love suddenly get corrupted when big names like facebook and yahoo purchase them and then ruin them.

Speaking of ruin, I was watching an old VHS I taped that has Comedy Central's South Park episodes from the late-90s holidays, and saw a commercial for AOL! What a freakin' disaster AOL was, and all of the mindless sheeple sucked into it! AOL left people STUPID about the Internet. It was "reverse education," IMHO. Good riddance! I crusaded for years against it. Natch, I was more geeky and I was a CompuServe subscriber, but that's another story.

Today, Microsoft still draws ire now and again, as it does on The Michigan Telephone Blog ::: (You could easily substitute the word "facebook" for "microsoft") "And Microsoft probably still has enough cash reserves to live comfortably for a while. But it appears they have lost their sense of perception. There's the kind of world Microsoft wants to create, and there is the world the rest of us want to live in." The author continues "I will just say that among people I talk to, nobody seems to want Windows 8. Yesterday, Staples sent out an e-mail offering an HP Laptop for three hundred bucks after a discount, coupon, and rebate, which cut the price almost in half. The catch? It comes with Windows 8. Somehow I have a feeling they may have to discount these a bit more to move them, and if they do that then people will probably buy them, wipe out Windows 8 and either install an earlier version of Windows or a version of Linux. " ~ You can read the full post and many other interesting articles HERE.

I've been busy this morning surfing the net prior to a day of last-minute Christmas shopping and Holiday Preparation. I ran across Frank Ocean's new tune which was left on Django's cutting room floor. You can hear it on frankocean.com - I was going to do a direct link, but those darn DMCA-ers would probably object.


Django was ill without it, says Frank.



Predictions for digital journalism in 2013


Tools journalists will find helpful (says Alison Gow) include Geofeedia, Spundge, Twitter Search,Instagram* and RSS feeds, for example, to find out what people are talking about when a story breaks, and "potentially tap into users who are on the scene".

Raju Narisetti predicts the rise of more US paywalls. He also sees the following as major components of what i call "mass mindthink" :::  YouTube, Google GlassTout, Spreecast, Storify and Square. I will add to his list TinEye.

The journalists see mobile and tablet becoming bigger players in 2013 ::: François Nel points out that news sites like the Guardian have more traffic via mobile than desktop at some times of the day.

Powered by Zoundry Raven

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics