Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Which Direction Home, Blog?

I'm sitting here, listening to my radio, aware of an approaching winter storm, nursing a cup of hot cocoa. Just made a few small tweaks to the blog here. And looking to the future - where I want the blog to go from here.

I just read a very thoughtful piece on copyblogger.com, entitled "Three Basic Elements of Content that Spreads." I recommend you read and really think about the components that form the skeleton of a great blog post or a great magazine article. Of the 6,000+ posts I've uploaded to this blog, I'll bet you less than 25 would hold up to the strict standards defined in the copyblogger post. If YOU are a blogger or a writer, how would YOUR materials fare?

The current 3-column incarnation you see on this humble weblog was something I had longed to do for years and finally accomplished around one year ago! If you look up under my name in the title or header, you'll see a bar of links including "Mobile" which takes you to the smartphone (and tablet?) version of this publication.

Has the tablet and/or mobile experience changed how you consume media? While it has for many, there are still MILLIONS of people all around the world who are avle to read this blog on a desktop, be it an LCD, LED or CRT screen. So I don't know how long it may be before I have to bend and go with the flow and adapt one of those goofy minimalist templates... maybe I won't have to if people gravitate toward that "Mobile" one that I offer. And for the rest, the "newsmagazine" or "newspaper" style I have fine-tuned should suffice.

Here's a bit of what's going down right now across the blogsophere: (after the jump)

Nigeria: Tweep Detained For Taking Photographs
The Nigerian blogosphere was thrown into panic due to the arrest of Eggheader Odewole (@eggheader) for taking photographs of a windmill unde... More »

and via twitter, here is a respectful and accurate write-up of Aaron Swartz’s funeral this morning: 

Armenian Blogger on Trial for Satire Photo of Politician

Read this post.
Edgar Barseghyan, the creator of satire photo website, Demotivator.am is on trial for publishing a satirical photo of a model's body with the superimposed face of Armenian politician Tigran Urikhanyan and the caption "Stylish Politician of the Year".

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics