Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Read the Comments

There are many times when I read an article online and then after looking through the comments, I send out a tweet sharing the URL and a simple message like "check out the comments on this one!"

I can't tell you how many times I have seen "comments" take an entirely different track than whatever the main article was all about!

On aljazeera.com, an article written by Dr. Manuel Barcia, the Deputy Director at the Institute for Colonial and Postcolonial Studies at the University of Leeds explores American Race and slavery. Dr. Barcia examines 'Lincoln' and 'Django Unchained' - he points out that because of Hollywood's reach and potential impact, films on race are "bound to inform (or misinform) the world".

I commented: after I posted my response I began reading comments left by others... some silly, some bitter, some obviously looking for a fight of some sort. I guess we are a long way from conquering hate and prejudice. Here's a link to Dr. Barcia's article. My comment below:

Excellent piece, Dr. Barcia! We may not see it come to pass in our own lifetimes, but I believe there will be a time when history will be a little less painful for everyone. As humanity continues to blend in the modern shrinking world, people may come to scratch their heads when it comes to racism, slavery, and backward thinking. Today these movies are sharp barbs of uncomfortable facts. 200 years in the future they are likely to be regarded the same way we recall the Christians vs. the Lions. A second of horror, a touch of empathy, and then we let the past go.

PS - Hollywood has a lot of power and influence. While some may view these movies as "salt in the wounds" trying to stall the natural healing process, I see them as a way of purging to the point where we get tired of purging itself. Only then we can move on.

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics