Monday, March 11, 2013

Invasion of the Low-Cost Tablets

So, how popular is the tablet? (No, not THAT kind of tablet!)

The tablet PC was never very popular, but the times they are about to change. As prices continue to fall, these devices are positioning to outsell notebooks, netbooks and laptops combined by year's end. Personal computer sales have slumped worldwide as smartphones and tablets have proliferated and gained in popularity. The average selling price for a tablet declined 15 percent in 2012 to USD$461. Prices are collapsing.

FORBES tells us "Adobe’s Digital Index analyzed more than 100 billion visits to over 1,000 websites and determined that tablet web traffic at 8% has surpassed smartphone’s 7%. Their combined 15% share is more than double the 7% at December 2011 and up 50% from about 10% in June 2012."

Music Week ::: UK music mag DIY launches new weekly tablet-only title (by Tina Hart) DIY, the UK-based music magazine, has launched a new weekly title - DIY Weekly, available from today (March 11) via Apple Newsstand. The new DIY Weekly title will be available every Monday, featuring journalism and photography, alongside video, audio, integrated e-commerce and interactive content, specifically created for the digital format.

DIY Weekly follows on from the website - which last year celebrated a decade of establishment. It also has a monthly print magazine, launched in 2011.

Initially available on iPad as single issues or via subscription, DIY Weekly will eventually be rolled out on iPhone, Android and Kindle. The weekly will operate alongside the monthly title, with DIY maintaining commitment to print.Read more »

Tablets are going to school. News Corp's education division, Amplify, recently introduced the first tablet computer built specifically for the classroom. According to various sources, school districts will be able to buy a WiFi device for $US299 with a two-year subscription at $US99 per year. A tablet with mobile connectivity will be sold at $US349 with a two-year subscription at $US179 per year. Specs: Amplify is a 10-inch screen tablet that uses the Android operating system. It is designed for primary and secondary school markets. News Corporation has partnered with AT&T to provide wireless connectivity for the devices, which will be available in September. ::: There's an initiative in Thailand to give tablets to nearly 2 million schoolchildren. FT estimates about ten manufacturers will be in on the bidding to supply the devices at about USD$10 apiece.
Read more »

With the promising new technology, comes more promising new technology! Ubiquitous Energy of Cambridge, Mass. is developing a coating that when deposited on the screens of tablets and electronic readers would convert sunlight into energy for the devices.
Read more »
You can receive my special newsletters - published only when necessary - by clicking on the envelope icon below - then you'll be on my mailing list. Thank-you very much! Don't worry - I will not share it or sell or compromise my list (or your privacy) in any way, shape or form!
Tags: ,
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics