Saturday, April 06, 2013

5 Things Every Blogger Must do NOW

Bloggers need to take these important steps right now:

(1) Remove all "Do Follow" links immediately

(2) Do not write or accept any "guest posts" - "Guru" bloggers propagated it as one of the best methods for free SEO. Google got wind of that notion. Some blogs that run guest posts went from PR5 to PR0 overnight!

(3) Do not pay any attention to anything you see entitled "Are Blogs On The Wane?" or any similar headline. They are not. Some gurus told bloggers that this is an "attention grabbing" headline "sure to raise your rank on search engines." It will do the opposite! (And don't be surprised if some browsers display a 'this site may harm your computer' warning!)

(4) Establish a PODCAST - but ONLY if your blog is niche enough: if not, get together with other bloggers who cover topics similar to the ones you do and collaborate on creating a podcast. This is one area I still have not venture into, despite actually preparing a podcast which I never uploaded. Like many other things, Podcasting is NOT for everyone, and there's no need to feel "left out" if you don't make or participate in one!  (And remember, establish an output schedule before releasing your first podcast, and STICK to that schedule for a minimum of six months.)

(5) Avoid Google Penalties in 2013

I'm pulling back on previous advice and policy regarding "guest blogging." For the present time, it is best to avoid both accepting guest posts and submitting them to other blogs. If the situation changes, I will write about it, along with any cautions or new guidelines for the practice.

Remember, anytime you notice the "blog gurus" all beating their chests about something at about the same time, DON'T DO IT! For example, if they say (as they did) that all blogs should be do-follow and they sell pdfs and host how-to videos on how-to-do-it, walk away!

I discovered that one of the more recent ploys, "minimalizing your blog so it has a clean inviting look" was designed to discourage bloggers from running ads on their blogs. "Why would they do that." you say? Because that's more ads THEY can run - on blogs that took the advice to heart, blog adverts trended downward by nearly 66% over the last several months, yet, looking at a sample of 12 gurus who promoted the idea, their own advertising efforts have nearly doubled, and a few of them actually are displaying more ads now than when they wrote about minimalizing!
I noticed the numbers shifting on my Alexa blog rankings, and when I viisted my stats on the site, none of the information looks right. On second look, it might have looked right several months ago. None of the data or keywords cited match anything that appears either in sitemeter or Google Analytics. Of course, I'm not a paying member of Alexa, so...

You can receive my special newsletters - published only when necessary - by clicking on the envelope icon below - then you'll be on my mailing list. Thank-you very much! Don't worry - I will not share it or sell or compromise my list (or your privacy) in any way, shape or form!
Tags: ,
Show Comments: OR

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the advice I just got myself disquis and the gravatar! I have been having a hard time in knowing how to respond to people, so this is my answer! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics