Saturday, May 04, 2013

May Day and More!

University at Albany students staged a May Day rally Wednesday to protest several issues, including the installation of Sodexho as the campuswide food service provider. Student-activists representing the "Students Revolutionary Coalition" claim they are defending both workers’ rights and the rights of fellow students to diversity and dignity on the UAlbany campus.

Brooklyn in the Catskills :::  Dope Jams, a Brooklyn record store that closed in January, reopens in June in Oak Hill in Greene County. Resident Advisor reports, “the shop’s famously grumpy proprietors Francis Englehardt and Paul Nickerson… initially said they planned to keep Dope Jams alive solely as an online mailorder site, a recent post on their Facebook page reveals that they will open a new shop at 7811 Route 81 in Oak Hill, a small town located in upstate New York. The shop will play host to an opening party on Sunday, June 9.”

‘Uzbek Princess’ in Social Media Gulnara Karimova, the daughter of the President Islam Karimov of Uzbekistan, is very active in social media, and her provocative Twitter posts and photos shared on Instagram often raise eyebrows among the mostly conservative audiences in Uzbekistan and other countries in the region. Blogger Ayana Seidimbek presents a collection of the most controversial posts and images the ‘Uzbek princess’ has shared in social media. More »

Anonymous reminded me about this: We Do Not Forget: Kent State Massacre, May 4th, 1973 … 
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics