Monday, June 17, 2013

drifting mouse pointer dell latitude c600 mouse driver fix

If you own a Dell laptop and your pointer is drifting all over the place, this post is for you!

I am the happy owner of a Dell Latitude C600 laptop computer purchased at a garage sale for $1. It was beat, and the owners said the harddrive was unrecoverable. I experimented. I tinkered. I brought the beast back to life. Now, it rolls on Windows XP; the Latitude battery kicks ass - I get 4.5 hours uptime at full charge. But then, a random issue popped up, after I was forced to install one of those ugly Windows Service Packs I had been trying to avoid: the mouse pointer began drifting, slowly at first, at random times, for no apparent reason. Then it got faster. And faster.


Checking Google I ran across several boards, forums and "ask" sites dating back to the early 2000's where other Latitude users were baffled by the same wandering / drifting mouse pointer problems. There were many solutions, some over-the-top technical, including cracking the case open, cutting wires, placing an anti-static hardware bag over a metal clip... you get the idea.

Many times the most logical solution is right under one's nose. The mouse DRIVER! I thought of that because just the other day I was cleaning out crap for a garage sale of my own and tossed out a bunch of old diskettes, including an old DOS IBM Mouse Driver.

Others had opted to go with updating the mouse driver, and reported the fix worked. But I soon found that those generous enough to provide links did so in 2004, 5 and 6... and today those links are dead links. Back to Google, where

I downloaded and installed a newer touch pad driver. (Tp2aa11i) Following a mandated reboot, a new icon appeared in the SysTray, for the Synaptics Touch pad. I opened the new Mouse/Touch-Pad Pointer Properties and went through all of the new options. One option is to disable the Joystick pointer that looks like a pencil eraser, in the middle of the keyboard, or to change it's sensitivity. I disabled this little monkey and immediatley my drifting mouse pointer dilemma was solved!

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics