Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Make Money Blogging

Most people who read blogs have no prior interest in spending money on them. I am sorry to be so blunt. That's why those "tip jars" for the most part have vanished. I still provide donation links on my blogs, but truthfully, over some 5+ years, I think I received one gift of $5. Just one. If you are blogging, you should be doing it as a personal chronicle/diary or as a scrapbook - maybe a place to collect and file away information dear or important to you. Have fun blogging! While you may be able to make money blogging, it usually doesn't last... trust me, there is always something that will come along out of nowhere and topple your little moneymaker.

I am mystified by the millionaires who go on Kickstarter and raise bundles of cash. These folks really don't need other people's money for ne projects. They've gotten so self-centered and greedy thay cannot bear to spend a penny of their own.

The Internet used to be the Infobahn - the Information Highway. There were things you never heard of like CompuServe, Archie, ICQ, Telnet (or maybe I have kickstarted your memory)! The websites you visit today collect and share infomration with others; they know things about us, and serve content to different users differently depending on what they know. It's also different based on what browser or device you're using. Mobile versions of sites can be different to the point of being almost unrecognizable, while some sites dating back to the 1990s are still blocked for people not using early Netscape or early versions of Internet Explorer.

Which brings me to something that really rubs me the wrong way: arriving at a Google or facebook or other site, only to be greeted by a message to the effect that my browser is not supported or in some cases, not being allowed to "see" content because of my browser! Take back your net-life: use a SPOOFER to fool those websites into believing your browser is up to date!

How do websites know what device and browser you're using? Simple - your user agent. It is a single line of code that identifies what kind of computer and browser you're using.

Super User Agent 1.0.0 ::: this little firefox extension even works on 1.5! Written by Magd Almuntaser, it empowers anyone to switch the user agent of one's browser! I'm not providing a link, as this extension seems to move around site-to-site every few days. I know that the big dogs of the net want this thing squashed.

Rebellion is a good thing. Write that down.

Powered by Zoundry Raven

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics