Wednesday, August 07, 2013

What A Difference A Google Update Makes

Google's most recent update rattled many cages. Fresh copy is now critically more important to Google than inbound links. Original content has taken center stage as one of the most important aspects of determining rank. I shrug my shoulders.

With many more than 6,000 posts under my belt here on blogger, maybe just a dozen or so continually attract traffic. Not bragging, I have written some amazingly creative and original articles. But you will likely never find them, unless your are searching via yahoo or Bing. My humble weblog has yo-yo'd from a PR7 to a PR0 and all points in between, no rhyme or reason I could see... it was under the old clunky slow-loading version with the ridiculous classic blog*spot template this blog achieved that PR7! So I am pretty convinced all that rank and the pomp that goes with whimsical Google updates becomes meaningless when you "zoom out" and take a snapshot from a larger point of view.

As far as "social proof" goes, who really cares about somebody else's Alexa Rank? Is it really important how many twitter followers or facebook fans I have? Does the "number of posts" make any difference in how good or bad my content is? [FYI: 6,277 published posts according to my blogger dashboard]

All of the product-hawking marketing-hearted blog "guru" people have gone gaga over the gmail changes... I can't tell you how many versions and variations of this "appeal" letter I have received since the switch:

"Gmail is rolling out some new features and they’re starting to automatically filter your email messages for you into different tabs. My messages will now be delivered to your "Promotions" tab, the third tab over in your inbox. Because this is not the default tab your Gmail will open to, you may miss messages you’re subscribed to.

Don't worry, there's a quick fix for this..." blah, blah, blah... you get the picture!

The other pre-fabricated email snaking its way through the system comes as a passioned appeal to remove a link:

"We are going through link pruning process, as we recently received a notice from Google that our website has been assessed a manual penalty after they detected unnatural links pointed to my website The only way considers placing my website back in their index is by getting these links removed."

In every instance of these emails, no one has bothered to check or correct the grammatical errors. Re-read the last sentence carefully. There is another odd order of words in the email which displays "placed almost on every blog page" - that should be more correctly phrased, "placed on almost every blog page." Whoever wrote this stuff obviously was not brought up in an English-speaking household. Peculiarly, there is a third junk email making the rounds "Interest in Adding to insertblognamehere's Content" - My advice is to simply ignore + delete all of these emails.

So this is the "new normal" for bloggers and websites? Those who once craved to link and be linked to now shudder in horror at the thought?

You may also want to take a look at my articles "Google Takes A Closer Look At Guest Blog Posts," "Is Tumblr The New Facebook?" and "The Danger of Bad Blogging Advice."

You can receive my special newsletters - published only when necessary - by clicking on the envelope icon below - then you'll be on my mailing list. Thank-you very much! Don't worry - I will not share it or sell or compromise my list (or your privacy) in any way, shape or form!

Tags: ,

Interested in thoughtful, original material that you can link to, comment on and possibly source for your own works? Take a look at my WordPress blog. It stands on its own. Very simply and accurately presented. If you like what you see there and decide to use some content, please consider a small donation to my "tip jar" as it does take a certain amount of financial resources to keep the digital presence alive. Not so hard, if you aske me! Thank-you!
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics