Sunday, October 27, 2013

Closing Comments



Comments - How Long Before They're Totally Gone?

A UK newspaper website running an article about Philip Chism allegedly murdering math teacher Colleen Ritzer closed comments immediately after this one was filed: "Obama sure has a lot of sons out there. Charge him as an adult. Life no parole."

The UK Daily Mail had let stand (and it is still onsite, via the screenshot here)
an obvious spam comment, seen just above the anti-Obama swipe. People are speaking their minds more and more and more. As print newspapers die, the attitudes of the people at the top are now bleeding into the internet sites. Throw in a paywall, close comments, and the "newspaper" will cease to exist BOTH in print AND online!

By the way, those "callous" and "insensitive" comments cut across racial and ethnic lines. Remember when Barack Obama said “There are very few African American men who haven't had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors.”

A black gentleman responded to that later after the young white college student (don't remember that do ya?) was shot in broad daylight by three black kids ---- hmmm, where was that? --- ohhh, here! Only a few months ago, and the media has let us forget.

Anyway, I digress... the site comment was framed something like “Now the man I am sorry I voted for knows why people lock their car doors when he passes by.” Something like that. Many who comment on crime stories involving black-on-white and even black-on-black crime point out that Al Sharpton and other race-chasers never get involved when there is a true community need. the sad truth is, people of questionable character and less than honorable intentions exist in every segment of society, within every race and demographic. They blend in with the rest of us.

COMMENTS ON THIS WCBS STORY ARE SO VILE, I CANNOT REPRODUCE THEM. CLICK HERE TO VIEW AS LONG THEY ARE ALLOWED TO REMAIN... and this goes on and on across mainstream sites.

So I betcha the closing of comment sections FOREVER is high on the list of "to-do" --- but wait --- the papers also know the more edgy comments they get, the more READERS they will have, the more CLICKS they can report to advertsiers. We have one newspaper in New York that actually has a couple of staffers "pepper" local stories with comments to "prime the pump.!"

READ MORE ABOUT WHY NEWSPAPERS ARE FAILING HERE! ::: AND HERE!

Comments aren't restricted to race: This morning WCBS reports "Six people were stabbed at a house in Brooklyn on Saturday night. Five were killed and another was in critical condition early Sunday morning." to which a commenter proclaimed "Hopefully none were taxpayers." The mainstream media website comments dilemma finds itself where bloggers were back about 4 or 5 years ago.

Lately I don't worry about comments at all: Google G+ and facebook police the trash and keep it out. Anyone and everyone is welcome to comment, and I make it easy. Some blogs and websites allow folks to "register" so that once their first comment is approved, subsequent comments are routed past any filters or human intervention. Excuse me, but why would you want to give anybody the freedom to post ANYTHING in your blog or website comments without your approval?

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics