Friday, October 04, 2013

Deconstructing Anti-Wurtzelism

Liz Wurtzel has written a new article, and everyone is excited. 

Well, D'oh!

I would surmise that that's exactly WHY she writes: nothing is finer than knowing you will get instant reaction - it worked for years for internationally-known blogger Xiaxue - Ms. W has simply spun the technique to snare feedback from some who believe they are movers and shakers who will, just by reacting and replying, will push Lizzie farther up the ladder - proving she is G.E.N.I.U.S.!

You can't help but admire someone who has mastered a rule of power and wields it exquisitely!

OR... is something else going on here? Do we have a woman writing truths that hit others between the eyes so violently they can respond only with vitriolic criticisms?

Liz plays these other media mavens like a master draws tones from a violin - and in turn, the mavens do not disappoint : they respond with the bloodthirsty lust of an 1850s lynch mob!

There's Noreen Malone writing in The New Republic ::: "She is sad for the next generation, a new twist on her theme. I've got good (or maybe bad, by her lights) news for Wurtzel: penning a piece on this theme means she's not living like a 25-year-old anymore." A reference there to an article Liz wrote earlier this year in which she mentioned she's a 45-year old living like a 25-year old. Well, to that, I raise a glass! And I think I'm on the same page with Liz. We're mortal and we know it, but from inside, we are not aging. We will keep running until our legs collapse under us or our bodies burn out. Filmmaker Woody Allen is that kind of person. Squeezing every possible drop out of life itself

Malone mentions Frank Ocean and Tavi Gevinson, two exquisitely talented people I would never have run across if not for the internet. Of course I could say the same about Yarah Bravo and Pugs Atomz. And if you just thought "who?" you haven't been as much internet as you think you have! Ah, the internet. The place where blame lies.

Bustle's Elizabeth Nolan Brown gets over the top cruel with some very harsh verbiage:  "And if Wurtzel had been a 20-something today — in the culture of Adderall and overachievers and optimism instead of Prozac and grunge and heroin chic — she probably wouldn't have had even that success. Times have changed, Lizzie! And the number one way to cement your slide into total irrelevance is by refusing to even try and understand why or how."

Elizabeth Licata joins in the celebrity-bullying bashathon via thegloss.com: "Since at this point Elizabeth Wurtzel is making a living as the literary version of “The Girl You Wish You Hadn’t Started a Conversation With at a Party,” here are the 10 worst lines from Elizabeth Wurtzel’s crazypants Daily Beast screed against Millennials." MEOW! By the way, Licata name-dropped Yma Sumac of Inca Taqui fame, which is totally off into the margin of the discussion page.

Judy Berman joins the catfight via flavorwire with another caustic article that ends like this: "The kids today are just as ferociously creative as their predecessors — and, as Elizabeth Wurtzel has inadvertently confirmed, the older generations remain just as in the dark about that as ever."

Ladies please! Exactly what has rattled all of your cages? A wonderfully hip article in The Daily Beast ::: "Did you know that Jay-Z is 44 years old? Mick Jagger is a great-grandfather and the Rolling Stones are still touring. Everyone who said they were going to die before they got old did so at age 27 and the rest have doggedly and pathetically and triumphantly persevered. So nothing about age and the way it advances should surprise me." 27 there a likely reference Liz makes to Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Brian Jones. There are some people who either defy age or remain ageless: besides The Stones there's Tony Bennett!

I won't pretend to know what Elizabeth Wurtzel is really thinking. But this I'll share: she is a wonderful, insightful writer. She has wisdom, and I both admire and respect her. Thank-you, Ms. Wurtzel! I enjoy all of your works - they give me a look at life via a different perspective in a way that I can relate - which is what great writing is all about!


You can receive my special newsletters - published only when necessary - by clicking on the envelope icon below - then you'll be on my mailing list. Thank-you very much! Don't worry - I will not share it or sell or compromise my list (or your privacy) in any way, shape or form!


Tags: ,



Interested in thoughtful, original material that you can link to, comment on and possibly source for your own works? Take a look at my WordPress blog. It stands on its own. Very simply and accurately presented. If you like what you see there and decide to use some content, please consider a small donation to my "tip jar" as it does take a certain amount of financial resources to keep the digital presence alive. Not so hard, if you aske me! Thank-you!
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics