Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pop Clips ► 18 March 2014

Marking the 25th birthday of the World Wide Web, the youtube video below features Global Voices veterans talking about their early experiences with the web. Alan Emtage, web developer and inventor of Archie, the Internet's first search engine, speaks from Barbados on his experience as a Web pioneer. And GV community leader Renata Avila and Free Press Internet Campaign Director Josh Levy talk about the Web We Want campaign, a new initiative that promotes global conversation about human rights and the Internet.
Southbank Centre in London will run a "Web We Want" festival from September 2014 to May 2015 to explore "the creativity and collaboration the Web has afforded and asks the big questions of how we can guarantee our privacy and our freedom from all kinds of tyranny online". Similar events in other countries will be listed on a calendar on the website.

Celebrations are also planned for the 20th anniversary of the founding of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). A Symposium on the Web's Future and a celebratory dinner will be held at the Santa Clara Marriott in California on October 29, 2014.

Mick Jagger is 'completely shocked and devastated by the news,' his spokesperson says in statement. Scott's body, discovered hanging from a scarf tied to a doorknob in her apartment, was found by assistant after she received a text from Scott asking her to come over and let herself in with a key. 
EXCLUSIVE: Lupe Montufar, 57, who was the brunette beauty’s full-time housekeeper from 1993 until 2009 said Scott's relationship with her rock star boyfriend took a toll. 
Get Lots of RETWEETS!


Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics