Monday, October 06, 2014

Democrats for Gibson Coalition Launched

Hyde Park, NY – The Democrats for Gibson Coalition was launched yesterday in Hyde Park, New York. 
Left to Right: Bartle Bull, Chris Gibson, Linda Comando

Congressman Gibson was introduced by Democrats for Gibson Coalition Chairman Bartle Bull and Chairwoman Linda Comando. 

Bull is an attorney, novelist, and lifelong member of the Democratic Party.  He has been very active in politics, including working as Robert Kennedy’s New York State campaign manager in 1968 and serving in leadership positions on the campaigns of Ed Koch, Hugh Carey, Mario Cuomo, and Jimmy Carter.  He is a former publisher of The Village Voice

"John Kennedy was a tax cutter, a capitalist, and - like Chris Gibson - an active-duty patriot.  As a lifelong Democrat, and as Robert Kennedy's 1968 New York State campaign manager, I believe that we should put country before party, as Chris Gibson has always done, and that is why I am proud to support Chris for Congress," said Bartle Bull.

Comando is the owner and publisher of the Ye Olde Tri-Valley Townsman, a local paper in Ulster and Sullivan Counties, and lifelong member of the Democratic Party.  Linda has extensive Democratic political experience as well, including the campaigns of Mike Hein and Elliot Auerbach.  She has also worked on the campaigns of President Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale, Mario Cuomo, and Andrew Cuomo.  Linda has served as the Chairwoman of the Town of Neversink Democratic Committee.  After being a strong supporter of Maurice Hinchey and campaigning for Gibson’s opponent in 2012, Comando met Congressman Gibson while he was leading storm relief efforts in 2013. 

“When my home was damaged by the storm, Chris Gibson didn’t ask for my party affiliation before offering to help,” said Linda Comando.  “He has proven to be a servant for all of his constituents.  From his leadership on the FRAC Act to his efforts on the Violence Against Women Act, Chris has shown that he is willing to work with anyone, regardless of party, to represent his constituents in Washington.”

“Yes, I’m a Republican.  But I’m an American first,” said Congressman Gibson.  “The Washington Post named me the second most independent Republican in the House of Representatives.  That is a title I’m proud of because I meet with constituents from across the political spectrum and do my best to represent them all in Washington.”

In the recent Siena Research Poll released on September 11, twenty-five percent of Democrats and sixty percent of Independents said if the election for New York’s 19th Congressional District were held today, they would vote for Chris Gibson over Democratic challenger Sean Eldridge.  That same poll showed thirty-seven percent of Democrats and fifty-seven percent of Independents have a “favorable” view of Chris Gibson.  Gibson is up 24 percent district-wide according to the Siena poll.

The Democrats for Gibson launch follows the launch of other coalitions including Veterans for Gibson, Sportsmen for Gibson, Farmers for Gibson, Educator and Students for Gibson, and Seniors for Gibson earlier this year.


submit to reddit
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics