Saturday, November 08, 2014

The Blog: Changeling

[cheynj-ling]  (in folklore) an ugly, stupid, or strange child left by fairies in place of a pretty, charming child.

I was looking back over the years this humble blog has been around. I haven't been posting as much as I used to, and that's not because I also keep a Wordpress blog. Sad to say (in a way) that twitter, facebook, weibo and WeChat have come to fill in some of the jobs that blogs used to accomplish. That's not a bad thing, just an evolvement (is that a word?)

So here I sit, at the computer, in early November, as the leaves fall and the colder New York weather begins. Maybe things will be like they used to: maybe the art of blogging will get a little bounce from the Northern Hemisphere winter. I look at all the posts I have written. I look at the blog layout. I got it to the place (after so many years) and the ideal design. I'm not going to change it again. That bleak minimalist look so many blogs have taken on isn't going to last, in my opinion. Besides, if you look at this blog on mobile, it's minimalist, thanks to blogger (and I believe that's GREAT for those who want to read a post on their phone).

In the past, writing a blog post was in many ways like writing a letter to a friend. The network of bloggers was more interactive in the mid 2000s. But there is hope! You know I'm not a big facebook-er myself, although early on I realized its importance (that's why I installed fb comments on the blog), so now I have joined a fb group called "Media Bloggers" - and it feels good to have that interactivity again. Certainly twitter and WeChat are interactive, but not exactly like blogging... If you scroll and look at my sidebars you may see some remnants from blogging's past... all good stuff... so tell me, what are YOU up to? If you're a blogger (or if you once blogged) how do YOU view the way blogging has changed? Or has it really changed at all? Is it just me feeling this way? But then again, getting cozy with the keyboard tonight feels good. I miss some of the old things like guest-posting and Entrecard. But the old adage "nothing stays the same" must certainly apply.

I'm tinkering with Raspberry Pi, working on an article for Thought Catalog, working on my book(s). There's a journalism contest I've been mulling over whether or not I should enter, and I have a piece I'm working on for VOA. How about YOU? what have YOU been up to? That's what comments are for!

submit to reddit
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics