Saturday, February 28, 2015

What Blogging Has Become

A character by name of "Robinson Meyer" has an article posted in The Atlantic [LinK] which is more B.S. than anything else. As my friend and fellow-blogger Enemy Kombatant once wrote, "think of a college or high-school kid writing a paper and just loading it with extra verbiage after doing little or no actual research."
The Ultimate Blogger: Xiaxue!
Robinson thinks old-school blogs no longer exist as a viable medium - or maybe are no longer popular. Very wrong on both counts...


No comprende! This guy has no sense of the power of "the old school." He, like many others, doesn't understand that the idea of what defines a "blogger" was overtaken by mass-media circa 2008. These days, a blogger can be anyone who puts up a blog*spot, WordPress, tumblr or WEBPAGE and deposits content. But hard-core webloggers or 'diarists' are still out there, doing what they always did, operating under the general 'radar.'

ASIDE: Look at The Atlantic. From the top-left corner of the webpage where it beckons one to "Get The Atlantic on Facebook" to the navbar to the sidebar loaded with ads and links to the 'comments' area, it LOOKS like a traditional old-school two-column blog. MainstreamMedia HIJACKED the blog concept. Then there are those 'bot' content-scrapers who crank out splogs and further confuse folks. Reminds me of the time Technorati, once highly-respected in the blogsophere, jumped the shark by declaring that "MySpace pages are blogs." T-rati went down the drain and we all know MySpace went down the toilet.

To a great extent, thousands of people who might otherwise have been bloggers have taken to facebook, where, within groups and closed groups, they're essentially blogging to the same people they would have been hoping to reach on any of the traditional blogging platforms, only now, they have a 'captive' audience that regularly checks in and out and on them from time to time. I myself have a presence on the sopcial network, albeit a very closed, immensely private one, I also share pictures on Pinterest (often via facebook). Through all, I have kept my blogs going, and they are going strong, thank-you!

There are MANY "real bloggers" out there, like Xiaxue (Wendy Cheng), and some who will even lay down thier lives to blog. I still get a chuckle when I see those old articles from 2006 or so proclaiming "blogging is being replaced by vlogging," which never happened.

This is my 6697th article on blog*spot, the platform. I have been writing and posting to since the early 2000s (before Google acquired it). My blog represents the oldest and the newest features of what any respectable blog would or should or hope to incorporate. I have a small dedicated personal audience, but my material is available to anyone, anywhere in the world. Thre are many links, a blogroll of sorts, a few ads... I share things personal and professional, as well as news articles and commentary. The blog has served as a "sharpener" of my writing skills.

Anti-bloggers got a huge shot-in-the-arm when that nut Andrew Sullivan made an 'announcement,' something about closing down his blog. Nobody cares, not real bloggers or their readers, anyway. If you don't think real bloggers still have a voice, read this.

submit to reddit
Send to Kindle


Subscribe to my blog via Kindle!

PS ::: Some people dislike blogs and bloggers:
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics