Sunday, June 05, 2016

Facebook is 'Big Brother," more dangerous than NSA - YOU are a 'Person of Interest'

I've always been wary of Facebook. I always thought it was sneakier, more intrusive and invasive and catering to society's "sheeple"[1] in a grand fashion eclipsing that of the much-despised AOL back in the late 1990's.


Don't get me wrong. I know a lot of wonderful people who correctly use Facebook as a personal or business connection tool, but there are also a wide selection of idiots who spread memes and chain letters and misinformation like there's no tomorrow.

According to bgr.com, Facebook is listening in on the conversations you have when your phone is nearby and the app is open. It's also likely Zuck is listening ALL THE TIME (see the insert below) - It’s not for advertising purposes, the company claims. Instead, it simply wants to help you post easier and faster, to know about the kind of content you might be consuming, as it hunts for background noise to identify TV shows or music.




Can it be stopped? Bgr.com says it can. You can restrict Facebook’s access to the iPhone or Android device’s microphone in order to limit its reach. How to turn it off? Instructions after the jump. 


[1] Sheeple: People unable to think for themselves. Word Spy defines it as "people who are meek, easily persuaded, and tend to follow the crowd (sheep + people)."
From the UK Independent website:
Turning off the microphone in a phone’s settings is relatively easy, and since it can be done at the level of the operating system, doing so will mean that Facebook can’t turn it on even if it wanted to. It’s done on an iPhone by heading to the app’s settings, clicking through to privacy and switching the slider for microphone; on Android phones, head to settings and then privacy, and change the permissions that the Facebook app is given.

submit to reddit
Send to Kindle


Subscribe to my blog via Kindle!

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics