NOTE: Western social media sites and apps, such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, as well as Google, are blocked in China.
"Online popularity is measurable," Kennedy-Moore told On Board. "Kids are drawn to it because of it being quantifiable. ' Social media gives immediate and quantifiable feedback. There's pressure to constantly do more. It's relentless, and feels like never enough."
5 Social Media Marketing Trends to Watch For in the US & Canada
5 trends to watch in China via IJNet
- Service apps - Reviewing apps like Dianping and Ctrip have some of the largest satisfaction ratings in China, according to the Kantar report. Dianping, formed by the merger of two smaller companies akin to Groupon and Yelp, allows users to make lunch reservations, order food and buy movie tickets through the app, explains Sherisse Pham from CNN.
- Social live streaming - Interactive features such as danmaku, where other people's thoughts appear to fly across your video screen, have ignited the launch of a social media component to livestreaming, reports Social Brand Watch. One of these apps, Mango TV, a video app launched by Hunan Satellite, is quickly growing among young users, Kantar noted.
- Social news - These interactive features are also gaining popularity among news apps. The increasingly growing app Toutiao, for example, aggregates news and features live Q&As.
- eSports -The esports market in China is expected to grow to US$1.26 billion in 2017, according to a new report from market researcher Niko Partners. Tencent is also reportedly committing US$15 billion to the genre over the next years.
- Apps targeting the elderly - Globally, older age groups are increasingly the source for social media growth, and this is true in China, as users ages 60 and older grew by 38.2 percent last year. This group tends to see social media as a way to connect with friends and family members. In contrast, younger generations see social media as a way to relieve real life pressure, Kantar observed.
What's in store for social media worldwide in 2018? I checked out literally hundreds of articles and thought the one after the jump was the most on-target. What do YOU think?
The Biggest Social Media Trends Shaping 2018
Subscribe to my blog via Kindle!